1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Bumping for extra battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bramsy, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Bramsy

Bramsy Android Expert
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    Awsome-o
    Birmingham, MI
    can we get a tuturial on what it is, how many times to do it, how it effects the battery short term and long term?

i think it should be stickied.

i know this would help many people out!!

Advertisement

UCGoody1 likes this.
  2. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Not sure how this helps so much since the max is a 1400mah capacity. I can not find one post by an actual engineer that supports the benefits some people post about. Thats is unless the TB only charges to about 900mah and the charge circuit gate thinks is it "charged" and opens up at that point (56% upside then).

Anybody test the charge level of the battery with and without bumps when charged, or all subjective, anectdotal assumptions? Still looking at 1400 mah and maybe a little extra, since not an exact production science.

3. mlee21

mlee21 Newbie
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    There are different methods people have been using.. Some people do it pretty often, but I was told you only need to do it once.

What bump charging does is essentially makes sure your battery is really at 100% when its finished charging. You might notice that when you unplug your charger, the battery life will drop about 5-10% really fast in the first 10-20minutes off-charge. You can confirm that is in fact true by charging your phone fully while its on and showing 100%, unplugging the charger, turning off your phone, and replugging it in. Your LED notifier should say its charging again for another hour or so.. EVEN though the device said it was already at 100%. So to fix this "problem" we have the following methods:

Method 1
    1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more
    2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour
    3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour

Method 2
    1) Fully charge the battery with the phone on. (until the led turns green.)
    2) Once the led turns green, unplug the charger until the led goes off.
    3) After the led goes off, plug the charger back in. When the led turns green, power off the phone.

Now, with the phone fully powered off.

4) Unplug the charger.
    5) Wait until led goes off.
    6) Plug charger back in until the led turns green. When it turns green, unplug the charger again and go to step 4.

7) repeat steps 4 and 6, 10 times. This may take anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 mins per cycle. Typically only about 1 minute.

I ripped this off another forum, but Method 1 has been confirmed to work for the EVO & dINC by a HTC rep:

Tumeg and Bramsy like this.
  4. Bramsy

Bramsy Android Expert
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    Awsome-o
    Birmingham, MI
    i did method 2 yesterday and it would work today so i hope it corrected itself! will have more data later when i try again!

5. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    The way I bump, and it works very well is:
    1. Charge with phone off

If you can't do that then charge until full with phone on. Simply turn off the phone (the charging light will go orange) leave off until green again. That is a bump and it takes about 20 minutes with the phone off to charge up.

Best way if you can't *ever* have your phone off. Buy an extra battery and external charger. Charge the battery in the external.. put it in your phone... bumped.

6. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Android Expert
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Virginia
    That is how I always bump charged. Charged my phone at night with it on since I use it as an alarm. Then turned it off and continued the charge until the light turned green. I've only done it once so far on my TB as I really haven't had the need. I did it for the first week or to on my Incredible.

7. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Yep, I use it as my desktop clock. I have so many chargers and usb cords around that I don't ever worry about battery life unless I'm traveling. Then I carry my spare. But for those that just can't miss a call even when they shower (network admins, parents of young un's) you can just do a *72 (other phone number) to forward your calls while you have the phone off. Then when you turn it on *73 and you're back in business. I actually do that whenever I flash a new rom or root the long way. ;-)