1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Bundled QR Readers? Universal Readers?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by rban, Jun 15, 2011.

1. rban

rban Lurker
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Hello,

I've been reading about QR Readers and do have questions.

1. Does Android come with any bundled readers? Or do I have to force users to go download a reader app?

I've heard conflicting news on this.. someone suggested there is a basic reader in Android.. others said no way...

2. If I must get users to download a reader, is there any free 'universal reader' which can be used by Blackberry, IPhone and Android? Yes, I'm dreaming but dream we must! I just hate to have to make users download anything extra, and if they must download I hate making them read and choose!

Another question:

There are QR codes which upon scanning, open up Youtube videos. Is there any code that upon scanning, opens up a hosted flash video which is on your own site (NOT embedded from Youtube or any other video sharing site)??

Lotta questions, I know. Hope yoy can help a newbie out.

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    I'm sure some phones do come with one. But if not, it takes 10 seconds to go to the Market and download Google Goggles or Barcode Scanner.

I don't think so, but they all are very easy to use. Just open the app, snap the pic, and the app will open the browser to that site. Can't really get much easier than that.

Well that's the beauty with Android, you don't have to choose only one app. You can choose whatever app you want, and they are all very easy to use.

You can easily just point the code to that specific web page, and only have that video on it.

3. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    My Droid didn't and it came with vanilla Android. I wouldn't assume so. Downloading one isn't a big deal, as stated above.

Apps aren't universal. An app may be developed for each platform but that doesn't mean that it's universal (i.e. you can take the BB app and run it on another OS).

If you don't want your users to pick and you can't find one app for all platforms then pick an app for each platform.

QR codes are just text. They don't care about the content of whatever the link in the code refers to. The code itself isn't anything. For example, a QR code may contain the URL:

http://www.androidforums.com

The QR code itself doesn't open up Youtube. The QR code just contains the link to the Youtube video. The scanner app translates that QR code into whatever the code contains and passes that data along.