• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Burn in image..

I'm pretty sure there aren't any gases in the display. The pixels are a matrix of colored led's.

Active-matrix OLED (Active-matrix organic light-emitting diode or AMOLED) is a display technology for use in mobile devices and televisions. OLED describes a specific type of thin film display technology in which organic compounds form the electroluminescent material, and active matrix refers to the technology behind the addressing of pixels.

Upvote 0
knowing that the galaxy s phones suffered burn issue before i bought it..it didnt really concern me.

i never leave the phone in a desk cradle where the screen is on for hours at a time, and i generally remove the status bar clock or use a grey/alt color one (not white) when i do leave it in...just tried to stay proactive with it

Upvote 0
knowing that the galaxy s phones suffered burn issue before i bought it..it didnt really concern me.

i never leave the phone in a desk cradle where the screen is on for hours at a time, and i generally remove the status bar clock or use a grey/alt color one (not white) when i do leave it in...just tried to stay proactive with it

This is not the issue I was having. Something is going wrong with some of the fascinates which is causing the burn in Image. Mine was not over time cause It burned in the actual time, so this had to happen during a 60 second period.

Upvote 0
Active-matrix OLED (Active-matrix organic light-emitting diode or AMOLED) is a display technology for use in mobile devices and televisions. OLED describes a specific type of thin film display technology in which organic compounds form the electroluminescent material, and active matrix refers to the technology behind the addressing of pixels.
Right, no gases.... Thanks?

Upvote 0

Perhaps i should highlight it, these organic compounds are compressed gasses just like in a plasma tv.

Upvote 0
Definitely have Burn in on mine. It was from the phone's screen turning on at night when I plugged it in and went to sleep, and having the battery full alert pop up and wake up the screen and the version of the ROM I was running apparently let the alert on until I clicked ok. So, it took about two weeks of a few days a week of me plugging my phone in before I went to sleep.

So I would say, roughly, that it took minimum of 60 hours (but definitely no more than 100 hours) of the lock screen being constantly left on for the white clock's numbers to become permanently burned in and left a residual ghost image. Clearly can see it with white background.

Upvote 0
This is not the issue I was having. Something is going wrong with some of the fascinates which is causing the burn in Image. Mine was not over time cause It burned in the actual time, so this had to happen during a 60 second period.

burn in would happen from the same image continually showing on the screen over long periods of time...not just a random moment

Upvote 0
Perhaps i should highlight it, these organic compounds are compressed gasses just like in a plasma tv.
A quick Google search, and I found several articles which describe an AMOLED display as a multi-layer solid state device, just like all LED's. Nowhere was there any mention of any gaseous components. Typically, solid state devices are created by depositing one semiconductor layer on top of another. The lower layer must become solid before the next layer can be deposited, hence why there are no gaseous components. However, I am not an expert and I could well be wrong.

Also, after having my phone for 2 months, I just ran a white flashlight app trying to find some burn-in, and could find no hint of any. However, I use only an all-black static wallpaper, the auto-brighness feature, and I don't regularly leave any program on the screen for a long time. So, perhaps some good news for those who are nervous about the phone.

Upvote 0
I took the phone to Verizon and they agreed that the screen had burn in. They claimed it was the first time they had seen it on a Samsung phone. They offered to replace the phone with a new Fascinate at no cost to me and by 1:30 the next day my new phone was delivered to me FED EX. I was really happy with Verizon for the way I was treated.:D

Upvote 0
I took the phone to Verizon and they agreed that the screen had burn in. They claimed it was the first time they had seen it on a Samsung phone. They offered to replace the phone with a new Fascinate at no cost to me and by 1:30 the next day my new phone was delivered to me FED EX. I was really happy with Verizon for the way I was treated.:D

As a Verizon Wireless customer for over 13 years, I can say your particular experience is "Atypical" (especially in recent years) . In just about all of my interactions with their staff, when there is a problem with a phone. they are "programmed" to Deny, Deny Deny, and then after all is said and done, they Deny some more and tell you too bad so sad.....Congrats, and consider your visit lucky.

Reactions: historyteacher
Upvote 0
Well I was waiting to pick up a HTC Thunderbolt in order to ship the Fascinate to Samsung but it has not been release yet. So I ended up taking it to Verizon and was sent a "Like NEW" phone and to my surprise it sure looked new and everything works grate.

Funny, I bought a "certified" pre-owned fascinate originally and it had something wrong with the ear speaker. My "like new" replacement had image burn-in, so I ordered a warranty replacement. Guess what! My third "like new" fascinate ALSO has image burn-in!!! I am about to call Verizon and demand a brand new phone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones