• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Busted Evo = Mod Time!

Rindan

Lurker
Jun 24, 2010
So, I busted my Evo. I dropped it and it landed on the screen. I have done this before, but this time it cracked. There is some nasty spider cracking across the glass and the glass pieces are slowly working loose. I have no insurance and from what the Intertubes suggest, I am SOL in terms of getting a repair. Eh, its cool. I save away money so I can self insure against such things. If anyone knows of a vaguely economical way of repairing this thing (that doesn't involve insurance fraud) I would love it hear it, but that isn't the point of this post.

I now have an Android computer with a fully functional but cracked screen. What to do?!

I have come up with one idea, but I would love to hear if anyone has any other ideas. I was going to slap screen protector on the phone to make it safe to touch and hold the glass down. The cracks are not so bad that the phone will be horribly impaired, you just probably don't want to read a website on it. I was then going to rig up a case that will have some old computer audio speakers and will hold the phone like an LCD faceplate. Set this baby up so it is stripped down to only music functions, like Pandora, Last.FM, Rhaposdy, Listen, etc. As the final crowning touch, trick out the mount so that instead of looking like a crappy mount with a broken phone was shoved into it and some old crappy computer speakers, it looks like a bad ass post apocalyptic radio with a tastefully busted screen.

I have this little busted Android computer... does anyone else have ideas on what to do with it now?

Well before you start messing with it, there is a post somewhere on the forums with a link to some guy who actually put a new screen in his phone for like 30 bucks. If the touchscreen is still working then I'd look for such an option.

what he said...
also look on ebay...

get that new device from HTC.. that lets you interact with your TV... and a bluetooth Keyboard...

Upvote 0
Just for an update, I did the repair. It wasn't terribly hard, but I would offer three pieces of advice for anyone who wants to try it.

First, the final step where you remove the screen held on with adhesive... it isn't as easy as that video makes it look, especially if your screen is cracked. The screen in that video has obviously been removed already. It is MUCH harder. A safe pry tool well have a very hard time doing the job.

Second, make sure you have adhesive to reseal the screen. I didn't. I had to improvise. Do yourself a favor and don't improvise.

Third, there is a dispute on the intertubes about which screw driver your need. Mine needed a T4. A comment in the video mentioned T5. Do yourself a favor and just get a cheap set of small screw drivers. I got an awesome set that includes everything you can imagine for $10.

Finally, be careful. I don't know how, but I some how managed to break my proximity sensor. I don't even know exactly where the damn thing is, but it isn't working now. It isn't the end of the world, but it is a little annoying.

Reactions: dan330
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones