• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Busted recovery red ! and android on back no text

ajdroidx

Android Expert
Oct 8, 2011
Colorado
I downloaded the factory image for the 2012 nexus 7 (HSPA) pulled out the recovery.img from the .tgz and zip files, flashed it in fast boot so I could get stock recovery back and get rid of TWRP for hopefully easier OTAs (yeah, right:mad::rolleyes:)

But all I got now is just andy on his back with the red exclamation mark. And nothing else!

It is the correct file. I have tried two different factory image zips both from google.

So yeah, recovery is now broken. I will spare you my displeasure for this device now and just download TWRP again.

Anyone know where the stock recovery can be found because evidently this one was missing a few things :rolleyes:

That is the stock recovery, you need to press volume up + power when on that screen to bring up the menu.

Really!? Been so long since I have used stock recovery, I thought when you boot into recovery it automatically gave you the menu. Will try again later then as I already flashed the updated twrp.

Did not work.

Im done.

Upvote 0
pulled out the recovery.img from the .tgz and zip files,
But all I got now is just andy on his back with the red exclamation mark. And nothing else! recovery is now broken.

I'm in the same position... getting into recover just isn't happening. Can't access with USB to PC either.
http://androidforums.com/nexus-7-ge...372-pc-cant-interface-tablet.html#post6058098
I'm using OTG cable, Stick Mount and Memory stick. Wug's is out of the question, (have the ADB set up, but there's just no interface in MTP mode, (using Camera mode is a laugh to transfer).
Wanted to make a Nandroid, than jump to KitKat From an older Grouper (a year old almost).
Little Android guy on his back, so choose the buttons, up into recovery, ...just dumps to the black scree, big white word GOOGLE, with an unlocked lock.

So, I thought I might do what you were doing. All I can do is drag and drop a "recovery", from an old Nandroid backup, so I have the recovery-12MB and the boot-8MB files, now on the memory stick.

Otherwise I can use ES File explore to move the back up's recovery file,and than where would this go?

Presuming that the one in the Grouper Rom on the tablet now is corrupt, (it's the same ROM), would this work?

Or is Nandroid Manager a better idea? I could install that to do this, but I don't know what files to grab, where they are, or where they need to go.

Thanks guy's.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones