1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Busybox not working after 4.3 update+reroot

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by John Bean, Jul 30, 2013.

1. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Waterfoot, Lancashire
    I really wish I hadn't accepted the 4.3 OTA update, I really do. More trouble than it's worth.

Anyway, I did accept it and as expected I had to manually re-root - no problem there. However, although busybox installs successfully it doesn't work; none of the applets function, I can't even get a shell prompt. I've tried several installers, all with the same result.

This is starting to annoy me more than a little - and one thing's for sure: I won't be in a hurry to update my Nexus 7...

Any clues?

Edit: Forget it, it's not busybox that's broken but the script manager/terminal app that I've used for years on all sorts of devices and Android versions... but doesn't work on 4.3 :-(

I'm not at all happy about Google's latest meddlings which appear to follow some sort of "if it's clever but we didn't write it then let's change something that breaks it" paradigm, reminiscent of Microsoft in the bad old days.

Advertisement

2. hstroph

hstroph Android Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2012
    How did you re-root, please?

3. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Waterfoot, Lancashire
    I used Chainfire's CF-Auto-Root which requires only that fastboot is working. There's a pretty good step-by-step here, including links to the things you need to do the job.

Takes only a few seconds, works perfectly.

PS: I didn't run the "automatic" script from the download, I just flashed the file manually. The script has a line that unlocks the bootloader which I didn't need to do, and this is the part which may zap existing data if the phone is not already unlocked. I played safe by not running it :)

Tags: