• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root "but xda sez..."

codezer0

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2013
Arizona
Suffice to say, this is... frustrating.

Wife bought a moto g20, specifically because, of the phones within our shared means, it was the only one that had a painfully simple guide for setting up root and installing it accordingly, on XDA.

Well, install minimal ADB & fastboot, launch the command prompt, and...

nothing happens. The phone is plugged into the computer, but literally nothing happens. Even made a point of moving the boot_root img file to the same directory where the adb and fastboot stuff installed to, but literally just sits there, doing nothing. And the phone is just sitting there with this bright white screen and won't respond to any of the buttons to reboot it, either.

Attachments

• Select C__Windows_system32_cmd.exe - fastboot  flash boot_a Boot_Root.img 4_23_2022 3_57_10 PM.png
    Select C__Windows_system32_cmd.exe - fastboot flash boot_a Boot_Root.img 4_23_2022 3_57_10 PM.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 76
You refer to '...phone is plugged into the computer...' but just to confirm did you install the Moto driver so your phone is mountable to your PC? Simply because the phone is plugged in doesn't necessarily mean the phone is actually accessible. The adb utility is just an application that runs within Windows. It's the operating system that directly interfaces with external devices -- if Windows isn't seeing your phone via its GUI than adb isn't either via a CLI.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
You refer to '...phone is plugged into the computer...' but just to confirm did you install the Moto driver so your phone is mountable to your PC? Simply because the phone is plugged in doesn't necessarily mean the phone is actually accessible. The adb utility is just an application that runs within Windows. It's the operating system that directly interfaces with external devices -- if Windows isn't seeing your phone via its GUI than adb isn't either via a CLI.
the xda thread made zero mention of any kind of motorola driver.

Though admittedly now I feel a little bit foolish about one detail. the guide wanted RTA31.68-25

But as this is a brand new phone, I presumed allowing it to run system updates would just get the latest available. It, for some reason, is walking me through builds one by one. Only now is it offering the requisite build, so that hopefully I can try again.

Upvote 0
Nope, I still have the same situation. Phone is in fastboot, but the cmd window still just keeps going "waiting for any device" :mad:

And the phone once again, won't respond to the physical buttons.

This is pretty much exactly what I was trying to avoid with these sealed battery phones. Ugh...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reactions: James L
Upvote 0
right click on the folder in Google drive and select download, your computer should zip the folder. once downloaded you can then extract the content onto your desktop.
I've tried doing that about six times already. Google drive just makes it look like it's zipping up the directory, but doesn't actually prompt me to download anything. It won't even download, let alone install.

**Update**

Okay, restarted the whole pc... and for some reason, unplugging and re-plugging the usb hub where II have most of my other stuff also seemed to do the trick, and now windows is recognizing the phone.

It recognizes the phone is there, but now I get something completely different, and I'm not seeing anything in the xda thread for how to get around it (see attached).

Attachments

• Select C__Windows_system32_cmd.exe 4_23_2022 7_50_28 PM.png
    Select C__Windows_system32_cmd.exe 4_23_2022 7_50_28 PM.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't understand. There's no lien or contract on the phone, why the hell would it be locked?
no it is not a carrier lock. some manufacturers make their phones with locked bootloaders. i think moto has a way to unlock their bootloaders. but you will have to jump thru hoops to do it. one issue is the oem unlock being greyed out on your phone.

if you can get that fixed than here is the guide to unlock your bootloader:
https://www.hardreset.info/devices/.../bootloader-moto-unlock-lenovo-motorola-root/

Reactions: James L
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones