• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Button on my screen that won't go away.

Hmitch44

Lurker
Feb 20, 2021
There is a button on my screen that won't go away and I can't figure out/remember what it's called to disable or delete it.
It doesn't show up in screen shots but it is a grey circle with a darker grey, slightly larger circle behind it.
When I click it, it takes me to my android home screen. When I hold it down and to the left, when i let go it takes me back and goes ahead doing the same from the right.
It is preventing other apps from working probably as they keep having to stop to tell me to disable other apps "overlay" permissions.

I've looked through all my apps and permissions and haven't been able to find out where it is to disable it.

Any help is much appreciated

Ok.
So I am going to recommend an app called Addons Detector.

You run the initial scan, then you can search for that particular permission (overlay, or whatever) and the app will show you what apps you have that contain that permission.

Then the choice is yours, to revoke that permission for that app or to uninstall it.

https://addons-detector.en.uptodown.com/android

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It might help you if you go into your app settings and look at the permissions. I don't know exactly where to navigate to on your device but you should be able to view which apps have the permission to display on top of of other apps. That should help narrow it down, and if you find it, you can disable that permission for that app.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• photo_1614115495266.jpg
    photo_1614115495266.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 0
Ok.
So I am going to recommend an app called Addons Detector.

You run the initial scan, then you can search for that particular permission (overlay, or whatever) and the app will show you what apps you have that contain that permission.

Then the choice is yours, to revoke that permission for that app or to uninstall it.

https://addons-detector.en.uptodown.com/android

I was confident that this was going to solve it. I downloaded it and spent two hours analyzing every section and I can't seem to find out where it's coming from.

This is what comes up every time a site asks for my location or permission to send me notifications. I looked again through all the permissions and still had no luck. I don't want to wipe my phone but I'm thinking my options are wearing as thin as my patience.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210224_012213_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210224_012213_com.android.chrome.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones