• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buy a new computer or not?

wyndslash

Android Expert
Aug 8, 2012
it seems that the computer in my dad's office keeps getting viruses; it's a pretty old computer, but i think it runs windows vista. my dad wants to replace the computer with a new one but i'm not sure if that would be a good solution. what do you think? i wonder if it's due to the user (his secretaries use it) or the actual system or both. whenever it gets a virus, he tells me to fix it and i always put antivirus on it after reformatting it.

Malware/viruses are obtained realistically through a persons usage patterns and will continue until their habits change.

...or their operating system changes. Seriously. If it's an office machine, put openSUSE or something similar on there. Users get user accounts, whoever administers it gets the root account and therefore the only authority to add/remove programs. No mor viruses! :D

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
it seems that the computer in my dad's office keeps getting viruses; it's a pretty old computer, but i think it runs windows vista. my dad wants to replace the computer with a new one but i'm not sure if that would be a good solution. what do you think? i wonder if it's due to the user (his secretaries use it) or the actual system or both. whenever it gets a virus, he tells me to fix it and i always put antivirus on it after reformatting it.

PEBKAC = problem exists between keyboard and chair

...or their operating system changes. Seriously. If it's an office machine, put openSUSE or something similar on there. Users get user accounts, whoever administers it gets the root account and therefore the only authority to add/remove programs. No mor viruses! :D

Since it's a business machine, there might be some programs they're running that require Windows. As for user accounts with limited privileges, those can be accomplished on Windows, too.

Reactions: NYCHitman1
Upvote 0

PEBKAC = problem exists between keyboard and chair

Since it's a business machine, there might be some programs they're running that require Windows. As for user accounts with limited privileges, those can be accomplished on Windows, too.
If no windows-only progs needed and alternatives to MS Office suffice, then Linux peachy keen.

Otherwise take second suggest,

AND I would get new system-Vista such a pig / 7 such a pleasure to manage...with the added bonus of much better hardware; and it won't cost much.
Win 7 is stable enough to set it to auto update, And comes with enough & improved security addons to preclude needing third party firewall, antivirus, and spyware blocker.
I would both install and include in auto update all those optional components...although disable if using third party counterparts.

I would spend the extra dollars to get the Ultimate version, 64 bit..

.which makes it very easy to remotely manage/ run programs in virtual box and/or sandbox, and Very Important: has Free XP Mode to allow running legacy apps, which the other 64 variants don't bring.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the opinions. We ended up getting a new machine. It turns out that the machine my dad wanted to replace was an old dinosaur still running on windows xp and freezing on my every move. I created user accounts on the new machine.

My Dad owns a small business and encountered similar problems with slow computers.

I replaced 3 of the computers in the office and added an extra main server for backups and built them from scratch, each computer, minus monitors, keyboards, and mice (already supplied) cost the company around 200 dollars.

Bare bones computers are all a company really needs, they aren't doing anything hardcore on them. I know there previous computers were going on 8 years so these new ones, each with XP will run even better.

As for anti virus, i would suggest MSE, i love it and it works great with Windows.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones