• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buy a New phone (Droid X) or should i wait? (Vzw customer)

hey guys.. i just saw the announcement of no Android phones coming out this season with verizon LTE. now i was sitting on getting a Droid X as my upgrade as in august lol. but should i wait on getting a new phone or should i wait it out? i mean i would sit on this phone for 2 years. i just want to get rid of my blackberry already lol ahhh

what do you guys think? is it even worth it to wait for this LTE coming to verizon

hey guys.. i just saw the announcement of no Android phones coming out this season with verizon LTE. now i was sitting on getting a Droid X as my upgrade as in august lol. but should i wait on getting a new phone or should i wait it out? i mean i would sit on this phone for 2 years. i just want to get rid of my blackberry already lol ahhh

what do you guys think? is it even worth it to wait for this LTE coming to verizon

LTE phones will be officially announced at the CES on January 9-11, and they will go on sale shortly after that. It has already been confirmed that the Incredible HD will be one of the LTE phones.

That being said, I got my X on launch day and I love it. I will be getting an LTE phone as soon as they are launched in January. I can never seem to keep a phone for even 1 year no matter how good it is.

Upvote 0
LTE phones will be officially announced at the CES on January 9-11, and they will go on sale shortly after that. It has already been confirmed that the Incredible HD will be one of the LTE phones.

That being said, I got my X on launch day and I love it. I will be getting an LTE phone as soon as they are launched in January. I can never seem to keep a phone for even 1 year no matter how good it is.

ahhhh i feel you.. thats what im wondering but i see black friday might have a sale on Droid X so i might wait and get it then.. but sheesh so many phones!! i think i might just get the droid X i keep hearing many positive things about it.. then next year when the LTE is stable i will get a new phone i guess.

Upvote 0
ahhhh i feel you.. thats what im wondering but i see black friday might have a sale on Droid X so i might wait and get it then.. but sheesh so many phones!! i think i might just get the droid X i keep hearing many positive things about it.. then next year when the LTE is stable i will get a new phone i guess.

IMO the X is still the best phone on the market right now, and if you want to save some money then black friday should be a great time to do it.

Upvote 0
IMO the X is still the best phone on the market right now, and if you want to save some money then black friday should be a great time to do it.

thanks for your help! awesome yeah i saw my friend play with it.. and i love it. my girlfriend has the HTC and her battery dies quick..so i said ehh i wont rock an HTC phone yet. so im just waiting to get this Droid X now Monster!!

Upvote 0
Does anyone know what Verizon's LTE network will be like when it's launched. Seems likely that phones will drop to 3G in lots of areas. IMO I have no problem waiting until coverage increases and prices drop a bit. 3G is pretty quick and I don't see the need to pay the higher LTE prices right away.

There will be about 10-15 cities and most major airports with LTE at launch. Verizon released a list you can probably find if you Google it. I am just glad Seattle is one of the initial cities, so i am going to get an LTE phone at launch.

Reactions: Johnny Alien
Upvote 0
I'd wait for 4g. No point in getting 3g only any more if your city has 4g. Trust me, these new 4g phones are so fast for any thing data wise. I wonder if Verizon will allow truly unlimited 4g, cause if you use data like I do, you'd need it. I know im using +10GB of data each month now and that's not including my tethering data.

It will be well worth the wait imo.

Upvote 0
I'd wait for 4g. No point in getting 3g only any more if your city has 4g. Trust me, these new 4g phones are so fast for any thing data wise. I wonder if Verizon will allow truly unlimited 4g, cause if you use data like I do, you'd need it. I know im using +10GB of data each month now and that's not including my tethering data.

It will be well worth the wait imo.

From what I understand it will be tiered data plans. There has been no mention of unlimited that I have seen. Higher cost/tiered data plans is the rumor.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Don't fall in love with 4G before seriously checking out if it'll even be available during the time you own this. Here in Southern California I'd have expected 4G to be built-out here first - nope. Apparently 4G is more limited in terms of going around mountains and hills, which means if you live somewhere hilly, it could be years before 4G gets there. As much as I like phones such as the Evo, I refuse to pay $240 over a 2-yr contract for absolutely nothing. Two years from now if 4G is here, great, until then I'm sticking with what's usable, 3G.

Upvote 0

Well you been waiting this far why not just wait on the Incredible HD.

Upvote 0
Well you been waiting this far why not just wait on the Incredible HD.

If you are not able to take advantage of LTE I don't think the incredible HD would be worth it. Knowing HTC the build quality won't be as good and the battery will suck. The only reason I am going to consider it is because I will have LTE available at launch and plan to use it

Upvote 0
one other reason im not sure about the x is because the end of life is scheduled for 3/11. i am an avid follower of this site and i have seen what eol does to the forums for that particular phone. i have the og droid some times only a handful of posts are made each day. also im afraid that the dev's will participation will drop.

Upvote 0
one other reason im not sure about the x is because the end of life is scheduled for 3/11. i am an avid follower of this site and i have seen what eol does to the forums for that particular phone. i have the og droid some times only a handful of posts are made each day. also im afraid that the dev's will participation will drop.

If you are worried about eol I would recommend waiting and getting a phone on launch day after CES. I don't think any phone is ever going to have a longer than 1 year life ever again as quickly as tech changes and the X has already been out for a while.

Upvote 0
I found out that I am up for a phone upgrade so I'm patiently waiting for the "next big thing". I'm hoping that HTC will have an "Incredible" upgrade <grin> as I am very happy with my HTC Incredible despite the lackluster battery performance. I have a feeling next month or so will have a few outstanding smartphones out to choose from.

Upvote 0
i know im new, but i just went through this debate

bb storm convert (not a hard sell) and i have the Droid Pro

gotta say this thing is sweet and super fast compared to my old phone, i can wait 2 year for a new phone, because this is so much faster than my old one...hell i can barely keep up with the phone itself...my opinion unless you think that 3g is slow get a sweet deal on black friday and be happy with the money you save

just a newbies 2 cents

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones