1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Buy an android based phone, advice?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Oldmanriver21, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Oldmanriver21

Oldmanriver21 Lurker
    None

Mar 12, 2011
    I've been in the market for a new phone recently, and of course it came down to an android based phone or an Iphone. I recently bought a motorola milestone and fell in love with the droid OS, but it turned out that it was a european model and the 3g wouldnt work here in the US so I had to return it..

Since then I stumbled upon this awesome forum and I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice on which phones will work with my att service, phones to avoid, and any advice for a smartphone newbie.

My budget is about 300-400 bucks. I would prefer a slide out keyboard as I have big fingers lol.

Thanks in advance!! :D

Advertisement

2. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Droid 2 if on Verizon
    G2 if on T-mobile
    Epic 4G if on Sprint
    Cancelt contract if on AT&T haha.

If you really want a slideout keyboard those are your only choices as of now. All are good phones though.

3. Left Coast DJ

Left Coast DJ Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    With your budget, you can pretty much buy any phone that's out in the market on a 2-year contract. If you're set on AT&T, then the Atrix is your sure bet right now.

As for keyboards, unless you're absolutely set on a physical keyboard, I think your fingers will learn to type on an on-screen keyboard given some time. If you have really big finger tips, then you can download and install ThickButtons Keyboard that might accommodate your needs.

4. Aatos.1

Aatos.1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    West Coast USA
    I've been using both AT&T and Verizon as my carriers for the last decade. I have four lines for the various phones I use.

(I'm a smartphone addict :) )

My current favorite of the Android phones I own, is the HTC Inspire 4G from AT&T.

I came from years with a BlackBerry. The physical keyboard was what kept me with them as my primary email & messaging phone. Then when they released the original Bold 9000 with it's unacceptably buggy OS, and captive trackball I was done with them.

I've installs Swype on my Inspire, after enjoying it on my Samsung Captivate. It's the very best input method for touch screens. Especially if one has big hands as I do. This in combination with the Inspire is a stellar setup. It's so much better than the iPhone 4 I have it's not even funny.

I really like the Android OS ver 2.2. that came on my Inspire and even 2.1 is quiet good after I optimized it for my Captivate.

Cheers :)

Swype | Text Input for Screens