• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Yes, but you need to wait until one of the developers at XDA Forum ROOT the Samsung Captivate with the vanilla Android OS on it first. That will take anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.

Ah, don't bank on the XDA community rooting and supporting every phone that is released long-term! Cyanogen only works on a couple and Modaco has already stated that he is stopping supporting certain models.......

Also, some phones are more difficult (and risky to root than others).

Upvote 0
I've been looking for a new phone and decided that it'll be the Nexus one. Still in doubt if I should go on a 24 or 12 month plan. I know the Nexus one has been around for almost 7 months now and was wondering if there's any rumour on a new Nexus anytime soon (within a year)?

There will always be new breakthrough devices coming out but there will NEVER be another phone sold by Google. Google learned its lesson of getting its butt whipped when it tried to sell phones itself without any help from the carriers.

From now on all future phones coming out will be controlled by the carriers. Any OS features they don't like will get stripped out accordingly. The Nexus One was a once in a lifetime opportunity...

Upvote 0
There will always be new breakthrough devices coming out but there will NEVER be another phone sold by Google. Google learned its lesson of getting its butt whipped when it tried to sell phones itself without any help from the carriers.

From now on all future phones coming out will be controlled by the carriers. Any OS features they don't like will get stripped out accordingly. The Nexus One was a once in a lifetime opportunity...

I hope that isn't true! I have my little heart set out on a Nexus Two as my next phone! lol...I think the Nexus One has spoilt me...I won't be able to handle my (future) phone being locked down and with carrier's bloatwares. If there's no Nexus Two...I might have to take REALLY good care of my baby so that it'll last FOREVER!!! haha XD

Upvote 0

Not necessarily. Google has simply learned that it is not worth it to them to be a retail outlet. Given that Google has never *really* done any marketing on the phone (I mean seriously...this is THE company to turn to for advertising on the web...how many N1 ads did you see?), you can't say that it got it's butt whipped by the nexus one's lackluster sales, only that it wasn't worth it to them to be a point of sale.

In their press release where they announced that they were closing the online marketplace, they said the phones would become available via retail channels...they did not specify that it would be only available via carrier outlets...meaning that if stores such as Best Buy DO get the phone, and Google chooses to market it, then you might see shops such as Best Buy with a Nexus 2 somewhere down the line. This is of course only speculation.

I hope that isn't true! I have my little heart set out on a Nexus Two as my next phone! lol...I think the Nexus One has spoilt me...I won't be able to handle my (future) phone being locked down and with carrier's bloatwares. If there's no Nexus Two...I might have to take REALLY good care of my baby so that it'll last FOREVER!!! haha XD

Relax...if worse comes to worse, Android will always have the hacking community solidly behind it. There's not much that a carrier/manufacturer can do to completely remove your ability to modify your phone...sure they can put up roadblocks, and maybe it will void your warranty (if it's not reversible), but the hacker community is relentless, and with Android being open source, you will ALWAYS be able to eventually have what you wish.

Upvote 0
So there's a possibilty they'll be coming with a new nexus, but certainly not in the near future?
Maybe I didn't read much about the Nexus one, but I thought it was doing quite well sales wise. Haven't seen the sales numbers which definitely won't be as good as the Iphone, yet surely good enough to be thinking of a new phone no?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones