• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buy pixel 2 from USA and use it in Germany?

Andi Kosov

Lurker
Nov 9, 2017
Hi. As you might know, Pixel2 price is 800€ in Germany, while in USA, it is ~550€. I want to ask one of my friends in USA to buy the phone an bring it with him to Germany. Can I use this phone in Germany?
I think if he buys the unlocked version, it should be fine.
Thanks

I would expect it to work. Do note that it will probably cost you a bit more than that because US prices are always quoted without sales taxes, so what you pay is always higher than what it says (by how much will depend on where within the US he buys it - sales taxes vary).

There's also a legal point to consider: I don't know German law, but in the UK you would be liable for VAT and import duties on a private import of this value. Of course it's highly likely that your friend would not be checked, or would be able to pass it off as their own, but strictly speaking there would be that financial liability (which under UK law would also apply to a gift - the idea that personal imports can escape duty by labelling them as gifts is one of those internet myths). As I say, I don't know German law, but wouldn't be surprised if it is similar, so thought I should mention the possibility so that you are fully informed.

Reactions: Andi Kosov
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones