• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buy Streak from ATT or Dell

Could someone explain to me quickly how 'unlocking' works?

I know what 'rooting' is and how that works. Rooting is gaining superuser access to the phones' operating system so that it can be modified. But 'unlocking' is different, isn't it.

Does it have to do with the SIM chip that goes in the phone? Is 'unlocking' turning the SIM chip on and off? That doesn't seem right, somehow.

I'm pretty sure that if you just take the working SIM chip out of one phone and put it into another, providing the phones' hardware will support the right frequencies, the SIM chip will work just fine in the new phone.

So what exactly then is 'unlocking'.

Upvote 0
So what exactly then is 'unlocking'.

Locked here means locked to a specific carrier, meaning if you put T-mobile SIM into an AT&T locked phone, it won't make calls (except maybe 911). A lot if not all AT&T branded phones are locked. In many cases, AT&T will actually provide the unlock code if you request it. The iPhone seems to be an exception.

Your expectation matches what happens with unlocked phones. An unlocked Streak will work with any SIM chip (frequencies aside).

Most likely, it will be unlocked if it's offered directly by Dell. If they're going to put up a special webpage only to link it back to AT&T, that's just stupid.

Upvote 0
Good information. Thanks, algs26.

So then the 'lock' resides with the phone's operating system?

Does that mean that when a phone is rooted, it can also be unlocked perhaps when a custom mod is installed to the operating system?

Well... the lock resides separate from the operating system. In all the times i have read about unlocking usually has to deal with sending your IMEI number and then you get back an unlock code to punch in your phone so it can be used on other GSM carriers. There are quite a few web sites that do this service.

Upvote 0
"My" At&t store said their display wasn't being installed until Thrusday :eek: They seemed to imply it was the Streak, but I guess they decided to not take up floor space and bring up questions if they didn't need too.

Talked to a Dell rep last week. He was great & had fun teasing me. He basically couldn't say anything, but in the spirit of circumvention, here is what I took away with context clues which, of course, I can't say with certainty:

1. It will work with T-Mobile 3G, or there will be a separate version that will.
2. I'm betting on the pre-order to be tomorrow (Tuesday), which would be 1 week from the sign up.
3. Dell built a sales team specifically for this unit so they are expecting big things.

If the pre-order is Tuesday, then it would make sense that the store display would be erected on Thursday, the official release.

Upvote 0
Maaaaaaaaan. This just needs to come out already! MORE TIME!!!!!!

Based on the strength of the number of pre-sales registrations for Dell Streak, we know there's a lot of you out there in the United States and beyond who are excited about the device. You've made Dell Streak the most successful pre-sale we've ever offered, and we appreciate that. As I've mentioned before, in my 16 years at Dell, I've not seen (or heard) this level of buzz around a Dell product. Thanks to each of you for that.
We know many of you have been waiting for more details about Dell Streak. I'll share those when I can. There are many pieces that need to fall into place to release a product like this, and the reality that we need more time to work out some things before we can share the details that many of you are waiting for.
That said, there are a few points I can clarify now:

• At this point, we do not have plans for supporting T-Mobile's 3G network; Dell Streak will not be certified for T-Mobile operation overall.
  • Like I mentioned in my previous Dell Streak post, the Android 2.2 over the air update (Froyo) will come later this year. We will ship Dell Streak with Android 1.6.
  • Carbon Black is the color that will be available at the US launch. New Cherry Red will be the next color that we'll offer. I don't have an ETA for New Cherry Red at this time, but it will be coming soon.
We will continue to offer the pre-sale to customers in the United States this week at Dell.com/mobile. Clicking on the image below will take you to the Dell Streak pre-sale page. See my post from last week for a bit more clarification on how the process works.

I confirmed a few other #dellstreak pre-sale things via Twitter last week:

1. That Streak accessories will be part of the pre-sale for customers who register.
  2. You will be able to upgrade to Next Day shipping from the second-day shipping you will already receive for taking part in the pre-sale.
  3. The email you will receive soon will have both a unique order code + the coupon code for the 99 cent Plantronics Bluetooth headset.

Upvote 0
Hopefully not a head.

What's in the box?!?!? Yes!!!! SEVEN! Off topic but did you see the Supernatural episode where Dean does that---What's in the box?!?!

Anyway I just bought a brand new Dell Streak from Ebay for $500! I am in the process of selling my week old Samsung Vibrant with accessories that I purchased for full retail from T-Mobile.

The phone was super fast but I was used to a 4.3 inch screen and there really is no going back once you are there. Also I get great 3g coverage in my house but the Vibrant was horrible!

It would go to no 3g bars if you even got close to the bottom of the phone and down to 1 or 2 if you were holding it in one hand and touching the screen with the other!

Even Edge would suffer a bit! I never lost a call but data had issues when this would happen.

Upvote 0
Anyway I just bought a brand new Dell Streak from Ebay for $500! I am in the process of selling my week old Samsung Vibrant with accessories that I purchased for full retail from T-Mobile.
So you are saying you are using the Streak on a T-Mobile network and getting 3G coverage?

I know there were a few T-Mobile betas out in the wild, so you have one? I assume from your comments that it works better at keeping a 3G signal than your Samsung Vibrant did?

Upvote 0
So you are saying you are using the Streak on a T-Mobile network and getting 3G coverage?

I know there were a few T-Mobile betas out in the wild, so you have one? I assume from your comments that it works better at keeping a 3G signal than your Samsung Vibrant did?

I haven't got the Streak yet, it is on its way. The seller had some that he previously sold that worked on T-Mobile 3g but mine is supposed to only get edge. I asked him if he had any T-Mobile 3g compatible ones to send me one. They were all supposed to be UK MODELS so I don't know why mine wouldn't work?

I meant I got great 3g coverage with my my Touch 3g, Nexus One, Htc Desire (only Edge) and T-Mobile htc HD2. The Vibrant is atrocious at getting a 3g signal and sometimes even holding an Edge signal.

I was told by several users the Streak gets and holds a signal great! Also I will use ADW home replacement, Handscent, and a replacement dialer and Better keyboard when I get it. So it should be pretty spiffy :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones