• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buy Telus Desire, wait for unlock

jagger27

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
If I buy an off-contract Telus HTC Desire could I use the phone on WiFi without activating it? Could I unlock it then activate it on Bell? I'd prefer not to sign up for a cheap plan with Telus then cancel it once it's unlocked. I'd be willing to find someone on Telus, but I'd prefer not to.

Thanks.

If I buy an off-contract Telus HTC Desire could I use the phone on WiFi without activating it? Could I unlock it then activate it on Bell? I'd prefer not to sign up for a cheap plan with Telus then cancel it once it's unlocked. I'd be willing to find someone on Telus, but I'd prefer not to.

Thanks.

Try Cellunlock.net I just got my code and it worked and there's quite a few people on Howardforums that unlocked there's as well. Apparently the codes came in on Monday night.

Upvote 0
Good luck if you can actually buy a Desire off contract since Telus has removed that because too many people were doing it (including me). Another thing is that if you're going to travel, you'll probably want to update to an official HTC RUU because Telus disabled GSM bands on it.

There's also mobileincanada which is $20 to unlock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones