• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

buy used Hero, or wait for Evo?

hi all! new to this forum and could use some advice on my next handset purchase. not yet an android user but that is definitely my next move.

my sprint contract is up in october, but i'm desperate for a new phone now. i played with an evo in-store and fell in love, but they are apparently out of stock in my area for at least another month. so now i'm getting impatient and thinking of buying a used Hero. of course, buying used means i wouldn't have to renew my contract... always a plus.

only thing is i am concerned about performance. i won't be watching lots of video or playing games, but i really cannot tolerate any lag with texting or dialing, and i saw a couple posts where Hero users specifically mentioned this. (after dealing with WinMo 6.1 on an HTC Touch Diamond, i am paranoid about lag in general, but especially for calls/texts.) will i notice this type of lag on the Hero, even with a custom ROM installed? (like i said, new to android but i'm pretty sure i could figure out how to root the Hero and flash the ROM -- though i use a mac, which i suppose complicates things.)

any advice would be very much appreciated :D

Lag seems to be a theme with all mobile devices. I recently got the Hero instead of the EVO and coming from WinMob, the first impression I had was "damn, this thing is fast". On the stock ROM no less. Android is much faster than WM in 99% of operations. That said, custom ROMs will improve on that since folks like flipz optimize them. I'd suggest waiting till 2 weeks before contract, and calling telesales. You have to have at least an everything data plan for Android anyway, and they can "early upgrade" you 14 days before your plan ends.

Upvote 0
Why buy used? I just bought a brand new Hero from sprint with an upgrade for 80 bucks.... Actually got it the day the Evo came out. Felt stupid because i sat in line for a half hour and was like "no I don't want the brick, I want that sexy little thing over THERE"

Honestly, Sprint will work with you on upgrade's if you've been with them for any significant amount of time, especially if you're talking about a 2 year extension on the contract.

Upvote 0
hi all! new to this forum and could use some advice on my next handset purchase. not yet an android user but that is definitely my next move.

my sprint contract is up in october, but i'm desperate for a new phone now. i played with an evo in-store and fell in love, but they are apparently out of stock in my area for at least another month. so now i'm getting impatient and thinking of buying a used Hero. of course, buying used means i wouldn't have to renew my contract... always a plus.

only thing is i am concerned about performance. i won't be watching lots of video or playing games, but i really cannot tolerate any lag with texting or dialing, and i saw a couple posts where Hero users specifically mentioned this. (after dealing with WinMo 6.1 on an HTC Touch Diamond, i am paranoid about lag in general, but especially for calls/texts.) will i notice this type of lag on the Hero, even with a custom ROM installed? (like i said, new to android but i'm pretty sure i could figure out how to root the Hero and flash the ROM -- though i use a mac, which i suppose complicates things.)

any advice would be very much appreciated :D

I'll sell you my rooted hero in October with whatever custom ROM you want on it, for cheap!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones