1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Buying a Defy (currently using HTC Desire)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mcchriswood, Mar 20, 2011.

1. mcchriswood

mcchriswood Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2010
    Hi Guys.
    First time posting in the defy section.
    Basically i currently have a HTC Desire on Virgin mobile - Very happy with it in general really if not a little bored.
    Im a scaffolder and i do not take my phone out of the lorry with me due to the chance of knocks, scratches, dust and it getting wet.
    For that reason my partner has agreed to buy the contract off me (so long as Virgin will swap names and direct debit over?) and i have decided to buy a defy.
    Im in the UK can i only get the defy on vodafone or t-mobile? Which network is better(i know t mobile users can also use oranges signal too now)
    Also what will i be missing out on getting rid of the desire??
    Im running froyo 2.2 and i understand the Defy runs eclair so im guessing no apps 2 sd??
    Can i use my same SD card from my desire??
    What is the internet speeds like?? and the call quality??
    Basically what i am asking is how basic is it compared too all the Top Spec HTC phones/I Phone 4/Blackberyy torch/Motorola Milestones ETC
    Thanks for your help guys

Advertisement

2. John Liu

John Liu Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    Hi, guy.
    I had used Desire for months last year, using Defy at present.
    At first, you can certain use your SD card from Desire.
    App to sd also can be achieved, due to2G Rom of Defy is larger than Desire, in fact you needn’t do it.
    The internet speed between them, I can’t difference, they can all work well, but as you know, the internet function of Defy has some problem, maybe sometime you cannot visit website.
    About the call quality, Moto win. Crystal Talk is wonderful.
    At last, though Defy can resist wet, dust, and scratch, you’d better don’t think it can resist everything. After all, it is cellphone not stone.
    Oh, on addition, the sreen area of Defy is a little smaller than Desire. I found it too late…

3. mussio

mussio Well-Known Member
    None

May 9, 2010
    dont know much about the desire and the defy seems to be a really great phone just dont forget about the locked bootloader.

4. 8Ball

8Ball Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    I did exactly the same change and never looked back. Like you I used to worry about my Desire. Now I'm not bothered. I'm in France snowboarding at the moment. I use the defy to map my routes by gps and take photos. Can use it on the slopewithout worrying about water.

Apps to sd isn't a problem. The defy has 1gb for apps on board. I put anything on there and I'm still only down to 750mb free space! The Desire would be full. The performance isn't much different either.

The only issue is no flash on web pages sure to eclair, but I have a galaxy tab too so it doesn't effect me.

Hope that's enough.
    8 Ball

5. sourav

sourav Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    One second, I'm in dilemma.Now Defy is available in 15k in India.It has a better resolution and bigger screen that help to read e-books.But Motorola????Actually I'm hanging between O-1 and defy now.please rescue me.:rolleyes:

6. sourav

sourav Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    1.Has it(Motorola defy) document viewer and editor?
    2.Can I upgrade OS from 2.2 to 2.3(now 2.1)?
    3.Is it a trouble less phone?(ultimately it is Motorola also)

7. ffz

ffz Lurker
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    Just thought I share some info:

1. Mine has quickoffice when I got it, so yea, it can view and edit documents.
    2. I think they are rolling out the update for 2.2, depending where you live. I got mine update to 2.2 just last month. Check out this page: https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades
    3. Depends how you define "trouble less phone". In my opinion, it's a decent phone to have, but certainly wouldn't be the most fantastic phone I've ever had.