• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buying a Droid: Retail v. New Line + ETF

I was told you do it like this:
1) add a line to your account for $10 a month
2) get the droid as the phone with the account
3) swap your current phone with the droid

I was told they were able to do this, but I would verify that its only $10 to add a line to your account, and that you WILL be able to transfer the droid to your existing line.

theres the activation fee too, and im hoping best buy can do this.

i dont have a phone at all since i sold it for the droid, so i can have a blank line with no phone correct?

Upvote 0
Not sure about a blank line with no phone.
And I forgot about the activation fee but you are right about that (unfortunately)

they told me that each line is independent of each other, and i can do whatever i want with the current line. so one line shouldnt affect the other unless you do in fact cancel the new line and keep the droid, then they will bend you over with no lube for the price of the phone.

Upvote 0
I went into verizon and asked about this last thursday when the droid was announced, and they said they can't just add 2 years unless I was eligible.

Who did you talk to the 19 year old who started last week?

Another piece of advice, call up and talk to customer service, get the right person and they can extend your contract I did that before early also when I bought a new phone. They just forward you to sales and tell them its ok to do it.

Upvote 0
Who did you talk to the 19 year old who started last week?

Another piece of advice, call up and talk to customer service, get the right person and they can extend your contract I did that before early also when I bought a new phone. They just forward you to sales and tell them its ok to do it.

All i said was that's what I was told. If i can just add 2 years that would be MUCH better.

Upvote 0
I bought the phone retail the day it came out. After playing with it for a good half hour/ forty five minutes I knew I wanted it then and there. Asked if i could extend my contract and was told not until September. So i plunked down full retail for it. What I'll do in September is either: a) keep my droid, use my NE2 to get the newest, hottest device out and turn around and sell it on ebay. or b) if something just totally blows me away then ill get that and sell my droid on ebay. The way things are going more than likely gonna do option A, which will allow me to just about break even. But i can afford the hit right now so i took the plunge and love it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones