• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buying a rooted Droid today.

sorbet

Feb 7, 2010
Ohio
I'm buying a rooted (and overclocked? is that the same thing) today, it's running 2.2...is it going to be completely different than a regular Droid? Can I still go into the market and get whatever apps I want, or do only certain ones work with rooted Droids? When 2.2 comes out, will it be released to me or not?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm not super smart with phones and I don't want to be in over my head. I used to have an Eris so I'm familiar with an Android set-up but yeah.

all the market apps will show and work just fine. rooted does not necessarily mean over-clocked. most of the custom 2.2 roms out there come standard with an 800 mhz kernal, so more than likely it is over-clocked just a tad. as far as different from a regular droid, it will be faster with 2.2, but the rest depends on the rom installed and if there is a theme. read up in this thread.... http://androidforums.com/all-things...oot-related-currently-under-construction.html , Lots of info in there, with several step-by-step instructions for loading roms, themes, and kernal, plus a lot of them have video tutorials along with them. as for the OTA, most custom roms have the updates disabled, but as soon as it does come out, the devs will be cooking new rom from it, so you can jump to one of those. good luck and hope you like the Droid...

Upvote 0
You will see most apps but there is a possibility of not seeing some since it's using 2.2 and 2.2 is not official on the Droid. If you are the least bit tech saavy you most likely will want to stay rooted since switching ROMs is pretty easy. If it seems more daunting than you're liking, you can always unroot by going to the below thread.

http://androidforums.com/all-things...-currently-under-construction.html#post780704

Upvote 0
Any idea which ROM it's running? The differences are great but not so much so that you won't be able to use it right away. You should still have access to all the standard market apps, plus ones that are native to 2.2 and/or rooted devices.

Most of the recent 2.2 ROMs are designed to not accept OTA updates so when the standard release comes out from Mot/VZW, you'll be skipped. Not that that's a problem since you essentially already have it.

The biggest issue I see is that if you are not very technically inclined, having a rooted device may be lost on you. If you aren't familiar with how to alter the phone or you aren't comfortable with making changes, you'll be stuck with the device as received without ever realizing the full potential of a rooted device.

On a side note, what did you pay for the phone? It never occurred to me that I could sell my rooted phone for a premium if I decide to upgrade.

Upvote 0
Any idea which ROM it's running? The differences are great but not so much so that you won't be able to use it right away. You should still have access to all the standard market apps, plus ones that are native to 2.2 and/or rooted devices.

Most of the recent 2.2 ROMs are designed to not accept OTA updates so when the standard release comes out from Mot/VZW, you'll be skipped. Not that that's a problem since you essentially already have it.

The biggest issue I see is that if you are not very technically inclined, having a rooted device may be lost on you. If you aren't familiar with how to alter the phone or you aren't comfortable with making changes, you'll be stuck with the device as received without ever realizing the full potential of a rooted device.

On a side note, what did you pay for the phone? It never occurred to me that I could sell my rooted phone for a premium if I decide to upgrade.
I'm going to try and learn. I love cell phones so this will just help me out plus I know how to follow directions :p

And I'm paying $200 for it, and it comes with the manuals and chargers and dock-thing and gps cradle and the 16GB card...I was surprised it was so cheap because rooted ones go for like $400 on Craigslist and even non-rooted are hard to find under $250

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones