• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buying a Samsung Galaxy Without The Bloatware...

kblanco

Feb 2, 2015
Okay, so answer me a question out of curiosity... I'm particular about theming my Android device. Right now I buy Moto, and I like Moto, but I also theme the lock screen and on the lock screen the clock widget is high up and smack in the way. I know with some Samsung devices you can move items on the lock screen around and so I'll say that I'm...interested in possibly switching if I need a new device in the future. But A) their app that lets you tweak the lock screen (the name of which escapes me at the moment, how is it...) and B I've always heard that Samsung loads up on the adware and bloatware. It's one of the reason that I buy Moto, but if I were to buy a Samsung device from Samsung so it's unlocked and all, will I still get one loaded with adware and bloatware?

If you buy it direct from Samsung you won't get the bloatware that the carrier adds, but you will probably get more superfluous apps than most other major manufacturers. And there have been stories about Samsung putting ads in some of their own apps (I don't own a recent Samsung, so can't say how widespread or visible this is), though there was also a story the other day that Samsung were going to stop doing this.

I'm sure someone with experience of recent unlocked Samsungs will be able to give more detail.

Upvote 0
Cool, that's great to know and thanks for sharing. I've always purchased Moto devices, I like Moto and their updating schedule such as it is doesn't really bother me much. But have been thinking about switching as I've really gotten into theming my devices and that clock widget on the lock screen just gets in the way. I've suggested that Moto reposition the widget, even give the user the ability to move it around the lock screen, but I'm not at all holding out any hope if you know what I mean. I've always heard about how customizable Samsung devices are but also the adware and yes even the superfluous apps. I had an LG once that had LG's version of every app you could think of - dialer, texting, camera, calendar so on and so forth. Drove me nuts cause they took up valuable memory and annoyed me to no end. It was one of the reasons that I went back to Moto when that LG reached the end of its life.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
well for me on my sammy's i have always went away from One UI which is samsung's "skin" of the android os. i always use the nova launcher on all of my phone's.....talk about customization(after you buy the prime upgrade)!!!!!

and for the lockscreen i use the always on display(AOD) and the fingerprint reader.

then i use zedge for my wallpapers and even ringtones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones