• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Buying a used Droid to learn?

maroonsloth

Jun 25, 2010
My coworker's daughter just got a new phone and will be getting rid of her Droid. I have a Droid X but have it running stock GB, not rooted or anything. I was thinking about offering to buy her used Droid just to tinker with and learn about ROMs and stuff without having to risk bricking my X. Would this be worthwhile (assuming it's in decent shape) and if so, what would be a reasonable price to offer?

Agreed, the A855 is VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, root friendly and practically unbrickable because it has a truly unlocked bootloader. If you make a little mistake and make backup(s), getting it back to functioning is NOTHING at all like what the rooted Droid X users have had to do.

I just checked the swappa link provided and one guy is selling a couple of brand new in box for $235/ea. eBay is another option, as long as you know what you're doing. Probably from about $235-$100.

good luck

Upvote 0
Agreed, the A855 is VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, root friendly and practically unbrickable because it has a truly unlocked bootloader. If you make a little mistake and make backup(s), getting it back to functioning is NOTHING at all like what the rooted Droid X users have had to do.

I just checked the swappa link provided and one guy is selling a couple of brand new in box for $235/ea. eBay is another option, as long as you know what you're doing. Probably from about $235-$100.

good luck

Hi Teddy,
Can you please point me to instructions for rooting my Moto Droid D1? I've heard before that it is easy to do, but I am a complete novice at it. I'm looking to be able to use the phone as a wireless hotspot.
Also, will doing this disable anything on my phone otherwise available in normal mode?
Thanks,
Tim

Upvote 0
Tim, I am going to assume you are wanting to root a Motorola A855 Droid 1 phone. Rooting the phone by itself changes none of the other functionality of the phone. And while there might be some easier 'one click' methods and such out there, this method I will link is the most thorough as it also puts a custom recovery on your phone in such a way as it will stay on the phone. None of the 'one click' methods follow through with this. Link:

Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

On last thing. The link in that thread for RSD Lite 4.6 is down. I have asked the admins there to fix it months ago, but they can't/won't. But not to fear, that is one of the many things I have in my collection.

good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones