1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Buying advice for avid ROM flasher

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by sumeshpremraj, Dec 27, 2011.

1. sumeshpremraj

sumeshpremraj Newbie

I have a Defy right now, and am thinking of upgrading. So many choices out there right now - S2, Sensation, not to mention the new phones in Q1 '12. Was wondering which would be the best for custom ROMs?

Poor stock ROM is a non-issue as I will be on custom ROMs from day 1.

Which phone has the most active dev community and battery life (that's another concern with the latest monster phones!)?

Another option for me would be to get a Nexus S (cheap and super dev community) seeing as how it handles ICS fine, then upgrade to the Nexus flagship that releases in 2012.

Which of these two would be best?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

If your #1 desire is to root and install custom ROMs, I'd go the Samsung route. They have their bootloaders unlocked. HTC has an unlock tool, but it doesn't fully unlock the bootloader. The dev community has made great strides in making the complicated mess that HTC handed them less of a complicated mess, but it's still a mess.

3. sumeshpremraj

sumeshpremraj Newbie

How is LG Optimus 2x? It has an unlocked boot loader too...and I really don't like going above 4 inches, the phones get really large and difficult to use....

4. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

I haven't had an LG phone since a clam flip phone. But the Optimus 2X has it's own forum here. It might be worth looking into.

LG Optimus 2X - Android Forums

5. sumeshpremraj

sumeshpremraj Newbie

Ah, I've been thinking too much and not buying. Saw a good deal for a slightly used S2, so bought it today morning.

Now.....the question is which kernel and ROM :D