1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Buying an S2 tomorrow!!! suggestions?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by madet0rder, Jan 11, 2012.

1. madet0rder

madet0rder Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2012
    Going to buy an s2 tomorrow. I've been browsing the forums for quite some time to get a good feel on terminology for android phones. I am finally making the switch to a smartphone. I am fairly tech savvy, so I think I can root the phone successfully.

What are the things I should do first once I get my phone? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Android Expert
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    Engineer
    New York
    Welcome to the smartphone world! I would first play around with the phone as much as you can. Learn how the menus work. Browse the market and see what apps might interest you. Only after familiarized yourself with the phone and android would I root. If you have any questions you know where to post.

3. IndyDave

IndyDave Member
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    You'll love it (except for the current 2.3.6 wifi battery thing if it affects your phone). It's my first smart phone too, and I've not felt the need to root, at least yet. I waited a long time to go smart - I was going to get the original Captivate, but then waited on the Atrix, and then decided to wait on the GS2. Absolutely no regrets (though the Note looks interesting). I've barely explored the market, just getting apps as a need arises, or someone suggests something... but after a couple of months, I don't know how I got along without it.

4. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    I would sign up for, and start taking advantage of Google's services (google voice to replace carrier voicemail, picasa to store all you pictures and automatically sync to your phone's gallery, and google music to store you music in the cloud and stream to your phone). You can go ahead and sign up for those and upload pictures and music before you even get your phone.

After that enjoy your phone and if you need help with anything you are in the right place to ask questions!

5. wolfyboy359

wolfyboy359 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    indy

sorry, hope I am not hijacking this thread! But does that battery void warranty or anything?

6. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    Not sure if it would void your warranty, but if anything happened all you would have to do is put your original battery back in before taking it in for service.

But if you are willing to do non OEM batteries, there are a few different brands of 3200-3800 mAh batteries on eBay for $10-30.

7. misterrunon

misterrunon Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 16, 2010
    some invaluable apps you might want to immediately install:

- dolphin mini: it's a browser that has tabs. it's in my experience the best browser on the market. significantly better than stock.
    - most don't like the touchwiz launcher, so you may want to install launcher pro or ICS launcher.
    - astro: file management app that works great.
    - dropbox: it's basically the cloud that works across all platforms (iOS, android, windows, macs, linux, whatever).
    - amazon app store: you get a free app per day, and it's probably a bit better organized than android market.

8. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Android Expert
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Male
    IT Manager
    NY
    my suggestion is don't touch the phone yet. Play with it, get used to it but dont root it just yet. Make sure you are well educated about rooting and flashing roms (if thats what you want to do) because if I had a penny for everyone who screwed up their phone because they didnt do their homework, I would be rich.

9. drrandall1

drrandall1 Member
    None

Jan 23, 2012
    Wait for the galaxy s 3 next month

10. drrandall1

drrandall1 Member
    None

Jan 23, 2012
    Wait for the galaxy s 3 next month

11. Rolex81

Rolex81 Newbie
    None

Jan 29, 2012
    Galaxy s3 won't be out next month. So scratch that idea. First thing you should do is more reading on the phone. Go to xda and read their stickies/FAQ especially if you are thinking of rooting. You don't want to end up with a $500 paper weight

12. misterrunon

misterrunon Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 16, 2010
    galaxy s3 won't be out for a while, at least not in the US market. skyrocket HD is going to be out.

13. NinerBikes

NinerBikes Member
    None

Jan 28, 2012
    Pick up a refurbished Galaxy S II I777 from AT&T for $9.99, pay the sales tax on it of $45, pay for the upgrade to smart phone for $18, and buy a data plan.

if you can figure out how to do SMS messages on Google Voice for free, shine on ATT's text message plan.

Root it, and figure out how to use it as a hot spot for a laptop without ATT finding out or catching you. Might be OK to surf the web with a laptop or get emails, but don't use it to watch videos, certainly not anything over 360i, as that will give your data usage rate away to AT&T and they'll try to bone you. Maybe get your emails and phone to show up or forward to GMail or Google Voice , which does free SMS service also.

At&T's gig is to nickle and dime you to death for every little "plan" that they can. It's your job to beat them back at their own game with apps, rooting, widgets, kernels, software plans, etc. I say stick with 2.3.4 and don't ever update, it's not worth it, yet, it's a battery hog.