1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Buying Captivate-- Unlocked or not?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tlo07, Jul 24, 2011.

1. tlo07

tlo07 Member
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    I posted this in another forum but I would like input from this forum as well:

Hi Captivate folks,

I had a Captivate when it was first released. However, I was new to the Android OS and I thought it was confusing and difficult and so I sold it and went back to iOS.

Now, after having a rooted Nook Color, I have a good grasp on the Android OS and I really wish I had the Captivate back. I know there are more current Androids available on AT&T now but I really liked the styling (still one of the best-looking phones on the market, imo), the 4 inch screen was just right, I loved the puzzle piece you slide to unlock when you miss a message, etc., so I want the Captivate again.

I noticed I can buy a Captivate on Amazon. The AT&T version is more expensive than the unlocked version (approx $540 vs $340). Can anyone tell me if I will have 3g speeds on a factory unlocked Captivate? Will I be missing anything other than AT&T crapware if I get the unlocked version?

I have also been checking out eBay however I know at least the first wave of Captivates sucked in the GPS area and that some people had better luck with the latter shipments so I am hesitant to buy a used one from eBay although I am not totally against it.

Thanks for your input.

Advertisement

2. iffrett

iffrett Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    Engineering Student
    Toronto, Canada
    Unlocking a phone just means that it does not have any restrictions as to what network and provider it can use. An example would be my AT&T captivate being unlocked and now can be used on the Rogers network in Canada.
    I can't tell you anything about the 3G speeds but unlocking the phone will not remove the bloatware. If you want to remove the bloatware, you'll have to root the phone instead.

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    It was my understanding that the Samsung Galaxy S phone branded "Captivate" was for AT&T Networks and they put out similarly spec'ed models for other networks but named them differently and were in more of a plastic shell than the textured metal back. In any case as iffrett stated, unlocked in this manner will allow you to take it to another network, but they will still have the AT&T applications on them. you will need to root it to remove that stuff.

The Captivate is a GSM phone that supports 3G on the 850 MHz and 1900 MHz bands, so you will only be able to use it on networks that use those bands, like AT&T or Rogers. In the US other Carriers like T-Mobile use different frequencies so you'll only get 2G speeds if you try to use those networks.

4. Usil

Usil Newbie
    None

Oct 20, 2010
    Embedded Software Engineering
    Colorado
    lunatic 59 is right, if you are not an AT&T or Rogers customer you not be able to take full advantage of the data channels and would be stuck on EDGE for data. Other than the data bands, just beware of buying anything that claims to be "Unlocked" you will get no warranty if things don't work as you expect. In my opinion I would fork up the money to get the official AT&T version.