• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buying EVO at bestbuy?

I checked it out and yep they are right in line with Sprint. Thank you! Now I am even more excited. I will be going the BestBuy route because I am not interested in paying someone money only to have them mail it back to me 8 or more weeks later. That is crazy! Mail in rebates=ripoff.

You're very welcome :) I found it there other day and it really does seem like it will work. I hate mail in rebates as well.

Upvote 0
I was told by a BB mobile employee that you can buy a Geeksquad maintenance plan for 9.99/month and you bring it to them if your phone dies or whatever. They send it out for repair and give you a loaner phone untill yours is repaired which usually takes less than a week.

I can confirm the above and I can add that BB will not ever charge you a deductible.

However, there is a downside, BB will NOT replace a lost or stolen phone... not to mention that $9.99 is more than TEP costs every month... choose wisely :D

Note: In my experience when I have taken my phone into a Sprint repair store I have never paid a deductible and they have either replaced or repaired my phones.

Note2: I always buy my phones at BB with regard to not dealing with any rebate madness. BB good for buying phone, not so much in this case for the insurance.

Upvote 0
I was planning on buying from BB to skip the mail in rebate. But a couple concerns. I've had TEP forever on smartphones. I can't imagine not having it I've had to replace several phones this way and never paid a deductible. I would have been screwed without it. I figured you'd get the same from BB. This $9.99 thing is more expensive and they don't give you a new phone right then.Also their subsidized prices aren't usually the same as at Sprint Stores. And usually different for new accounts vs two year upgrades. For example Samsung Moment right now is $99 through Sprint for new or upgrade. At BB it's $99 new, $179 upgrade. So are we sure that the EVO will be as low at BB for us upgraders as new customers??

Upvote 0
Ok i currently work for Best Buy mobile so maybe i can clear a few things up on here.

BB will honor all rebates given by the carriers. On Sprint the "Premier" line (primary on family everything data, or single line on everything data) will be eligible for full upgrade pricing after 1 year. Sprint actually puts this date in the system so we can honor that pricing. Any additional "bill" savings can still be added after the upgrade is completed by calling customer care.

BB will match anybodys pricing for the same product. So if sprint has it for 99 after rebate, we will give it to you 99 out the door. Though generally BB pricing is cheaper than the corporate stores anyways.

As far as insurance, you can still add the 7 dollar Sprint TEP even if you buy it at best buy.

Sprint TEP:
7 Dollar a month
On Sprint bill
100-150 deductible on smart phones
Will cover anything
Is generally a refurbished phone
Quick Turn Around
2 replacements a year, then you get dropped

BB Black Tie Protection:
9.99 a month
Charged to a credit or debit card
No Deductible
Will cover anything as long as it can be physically brought in the store (no lost/stolen coverage) and has not been submerged in water
Most require the phone to be sent off to repair (even if completely destroyed). This process can take WEEKS. ive seen some take up to 6 weeks.
Certain phones (blackberries) are considered an instore exchange and do not have to be sent off
Any replacement phone will be a NEW phone out of inventory(except iphone)
Covers additional items such as the battery (1 free replacement) and the charger.
A loaner phone can be provided (requires a refundable 150 dollar deposit to be put down). This loaner phone is a BASIC phone and will not be comparable to the EVO.
Unlimited replacements

Upvote 0
So in other words, if I were to buy the EVO from Best Buy, while still paying the $7 Sprint TEP, I could then bring the EVO to my local Sprint store to be repaired just as I normally could if I were to buy it from Sprint?

Yes. Until this phone, all of my phone purchases have been from the internet and I've always been given the option to add the carrier insurance as long as I did it within 30 days.

Upvote 0
Well I say the best buy black tie protection is the way to go. I bought my last three phone from Bestbuy and when I had to send them out for service I was not asked in detail what happen to the phone. 4 out of the 12 times I sent out my phone was due to me bricking the phone. Also 8 out of the 12 times was from the phone being smashed. All time were no deductibles and got a replacement phone with in 2 weeks. Love me some black tie.

Upvote 0
Yes. Until this phone, all of my phone purchases have been from the internet and I've always been given the option to add the carrier insurance as long as I did it within 30 days.

And I can confirm that this is also true for BB... I just added a new line of service with a Palm Pixi and got the same price as was posted on Sprint web. I then went home and called Sprint CC and had them add TEP to that new phone (I did have to ask for a manager, but they did add it.)
:D

Upvote 0
So in other words, if I were to buy the EVO from Best Buy, while still paying the $7 Sprint TEP, I could then bring the EVO to my local Sprint store to be repaired just as I normally could if I were to buy it from Sprint?

Yes it is an insurance plan, not a warranty or protection plan. So you no matter where you get the phone (even if its off craiglist) you can insure it. It is a Sprint account feature. Just has to be added within the first 30 days. That is why there is a deductible on it.

Upvote 0
Relax Kimosabe. Unlike some people, I don't sit on here day and night. I actually have this thing called a job/career. So *************** just answer the question. Is it hard for you to type, "Yes, they will honor it."?

OR

You could just ignore it. I thanked the person who answered my post and it was done with. I don't have the time to read EVERY. SINGLE. POST.

If you don't have time to read posts then how will you know if someone answered you? You had time to read the post you are complaining about, why not the many posts that answered your question? In fact it would have taken you less time to just scan this thread and find the answer then it did for you post your question. Wow.

Upvote 0
I bought my last phone at Best Buy and it was probably the BEST experience purchasing a phone upgrade I've ever had (on top of that, the girl that set it up was extremely cute...LOL).

That was when I purchased the Touch Pro a couple years back. At that time, Best Buy also had a "special sale" going on for any and all smartphones (I think the only exception was the iPhone).

My question is more for anybody that either works at Best Buy or knows someone that works there. Will Best Buy have any additional "discounts" available around the time that the EVO is released? Just curious because if memory serves me correct, it was something like an additional 20% off (on top of all the rebates).

Upvote 0
We're just gonna have to wait and see, nothing has been announced or leaked yet.

Yeah, I have no problem with waiting for it. I just remember that there were some people that worked at Best Buy (prior to the Touch Diamond and Touch Pro release), that leaked the ad for additional discount on smartphones (excluding the iPhone). Hopefully there will be.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones