• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buying EVO at bestbuy?

Has this been posted yet? Have you seen this?

At BestBuy site...
Mobile Phones

I think it's been posted in a different thread, but still cool to look at nontheless.

Although, really funny how we all torcher ourselves by posting new ads that pop-up, without even knowing when we'll actually purchase one of our own!...HAHAHA.

Man, I'm just hoping that the EVO will live up to the expectations of its specs.

Upvote 0
So, does anyone anticipate big lines for this phone? When BB sells a hot new phone, do they sell it at midnight, early in the morning, Or when typically?

Does anyone think BB will run out of stock or have plenty?

The only comparison I can draw is waiting in line for the Wii launch at Target, interesting experience, to say the least =P.

Upvote 0
So, does anyone anticipate big lines for this phone? When BB sells a hot new phone, do they sell it at midnight, early in the morning, Or when typically?

Does anyone think BB will run out of stock or have plenty?

The only comparison I can draw is waiting in line for the Wii launch at Target, interesting experience, to say the least =P.

I think it'll all depend on how good the marketing campaign is. If they go crazier on the marketing campaign than they did for the Instinct, it's possible there will be lines, but I wouldn't anticipate it being anything like the people that line up for a new iPhone. I just don't think enough of the general population will warrant there being huge lines for this phone, despite the specs that it'll have out the box.

As for Best Buy running out of stock, that's debatable. When I got my Touch Pro, I happened to be up early that morning doing errands. I was right by the Best Buy down the hill from my house, the day of the phone release and there were a couple people waiting outside for the store to open (around 10 minutes before opening). I decided to go in, to see if I could pick the phone up and there just happened to be one (1) remaining in stock (I was told that they actually sold a few the night before, even though they weren't supposed to). That said, the Touch Pro didn't have anything near the marketing campaign that I'm anticipating them putting out for the EVO, especially because they had already dumped SO much money into the Instinct as the "flagship" device for that year.

My personal opinion is that there'll be MORE than enough of these devices in stock, since it's supposed to be the "flagship" phone for the year.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info Drex, by the way, I don't really shop at Best Buy very often.

I heard someone mention in another thread something about perhaps 'rewards members' getting first dibs at the phone? Any truth to that?

And would being a 'rewards' member potentially help towards purchasing the phone in the sense of early availability or better discounts?

Does BB charge an activation fee, or it is free?

Just wondering, sorry if I seem like a newb.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info Drex, by the way, I don't really shop at Best Buy very often.

I heard someone mention in another thread something about perhaps 'rewards members' getting first dibs at the phone? Any truth to that?

And would being a 'rewards' member potentially help towards purchasing the phone in the sense of early availability or better discounts?

Does BB charge an activation fee, or it is free?

Just wondering, sorry if I seem like a newb.

No problem. I actually used to buy a lot of things from Best Buy in the past, but the more I realized certain things I was buying were cheaper on Amazon.com, no tax, and usually free super saver shipping...Yeah, it's definitely the reason I don't shop there as much anymore...LOL. But, my experience buying the Touch Pro had to be one of the best experiences I've had as far as phone purchasing is concerned (especially because of the discount and rebates).

I hadn't seen anything mentioned about the Best Buy Rewards Zone Members getting first dibs, but Jackson did mention in the general thread that Corporate purchases (Government and Big Corp.) would have first dibs. How that'll work is still unclear. The company I work with would definitely fall under the "Big Corporation" category, but the last time I was about to buy through my corporate rep, the price was more expensive than what I could get at Best Buy. AND they said I'd still have to do a mail in rebate. Even if they can get me the phone a little earlier than Best Buy can, if they can't get me the full discount price, I'll likely buy from Best Buy.

Ooh, you've got me on the "activation fee." When I purchased my Touch Pro, it was just an upgrade and I don't remember them charging me an activation fee. Not sure about new customers (if you are a new Sprint Customer).

Upvote 0
I'm already a sprint customer, so perhaps activation fees are only for new customers. I believe Sprint stores tend to charge one though.

I hear you about Amazon too, I pretty much buy all my video games and some other random things from them, they have the best deals.

Yes. Sprint stores definitely charge an activation fee. What's odd is telesales (phone order) through Sprint doesn't charge an activation fee. Neither does online Sprint ordering.

-Quick side note regarding video games-
If you have a PS3 or XBox 360, Amazon's deal of the day today is for Batman: Arkham Asylum. $26.99 with free super saver shipping.

Upvote 0
butt-phone.jpg

presented without comment.

I was so hungry...:D

Upvote 0
Here's a question for you all.

I'm a Sprint Premier customer and have traditionally used TeleSales/Retentions to buy my phones. I am not eligible for an upgrade until 8/1 (bought my Pre last August), but would really like to snag the Evo on launch day. I know that sometimes TeleSales/Retentions will say "I'm close enough" and grant the upgrade price, but can BestBuy also make similar concessions?

TIA!

Upvote 0
Here's a question for you all.

I'm a Sprint Premier customer and have traditionally used TeleSales/Retentions to buy my phones. I am not eligible for an upgrade until 8/1 (bought my Pre last August), but would really like to snag the Evo on launch day. I know that sometimes TeleSales/Retentions will say "I'm close enough" and grant the upgrade price, but can BestBuy also make similar concessions?

TIA!

You would have to get Care/Retentions to change the date in the system before Best Buy can Honor it. It is possible and can be done though.

Reactions: Bek
Upvote 0
Great, thanks!

Here's the other stupid question I forgot to ask. When you get a phone @ Best Buy, do you have to get a completely new fresh plan, or can you just extend your current one by another 2 years? I ask because I'm on an EPRP family plan (I'm the account holder) and don't want to have to give that up.

I am not sure, but I would expect that in order to get the EVO or other smartphone you will be required to change your plan to Simply Everything type plan. Again, just a guess based on my experience and reading other posts... If you already have a Simply Everything the normal process just extends your current contract another 2 yrs.

Upvote 0
Nah not that I remember....launch day was June 6th. Im pretty sure it was only Launch day sales....No Preorder, thats why Im thinking the EVO is the first for Sprint.

I was all over the Pre when it first came out... there was no Plam Pre pre-sale, but there was a big line outside the BestBuy... and they did eventually allow pre-orders after launch... what I mean is that when the Pre was sold out they let people get on wait lists.

Upvote 0
Great, thanks!

Here's the other stupid question I forgot to ask. When you get a phone @ Best Buy, do you have to get a completely new fresh plan, or can you just extend your current one by another 2 years? I ask because I'm on an EPRP family plan (I'm the account holder) and don't want to have to give that up.

In short, if you have some form of Everything Data Plan (Everything data, Simply Everything, or the SERO Everything Data) then you can put the EVO on it and keep your same plan. If not you will need to change to one of those plans. That is not a Best Buy restriction. That will be the same no matter where you buy the EVO.

As far as Pre-Sales, We have been told we WILL be doing presales for the EVO but there isnt a SKU in the system yet. So no guarantees on that. More solid data will probably come out once they annouce a release date/price. We have done them for several Verizon phones though(INC, Devour, Droid)

Reactions: Bek
Upvote 0
Hello all! My wife and I are on an Everything Data share plan. I have the premier line and have been eligible for my yearly upgrade since February.

When the EVO comes out I plan on getting it but will my wife receive anything, such as the $75 Sprint offers for our second line to get this great phone for her from BB? If not, since I would be required to sign another 2 year contract would my wife be eligible for more of an upgrade on her phone?

Can someone clarify these for me? Thanks.

Upvote 0
I don't know if Best Buy has ever done a "pre-order" (Sorry, don't know much 'bout how the Palm Pre release was), but I do know that they have gotten exclusive rights to sales to certain smartphones, prior to "general" release.

I got my Touch Pro at Best Buy, 1 week prior to the phone being available at Sprint Stores/Telesales/Radioshack or anywhere else that Sprint phones are sold. I remember buying the phone at Best Buy in the morning and then going into a Sprint store later that day to get accessories. When I asked one of the reps if they have any accessories yet, they told me "no, because the phone's not out yet." That's when I promptly raised my phone up and ALL the reps behind the counter practically jumped out at me asking where I bought it!...ROFLMAO...good times.

If there is a pre-order, I'm definitely going to have to consider that.

Upvote 0
Hello all! My wife and I are on an Everything Data share plan. I have the premier line and have been eligible for my yearly upgrade since February.

When the EVO comes out I plan on getting it but will my wife receive anything, such as the $75 Sprint offers for our second line to get this great phone for her from BB? If not, since I would be required to sign another 2 year contract would my wife be eligible for more of an upgrade on her phone?

Can someone clarify these for me? Thanks.

The 2 year agreement is per line as someone else said. So on your line you would resign for 2 years and get an EVO for the Upgrade price. If she got her phone at the same time as yours originally, she should be eligible for the 1 year upgrade. What that means is if you resign her line for 2 years, then you will get 75 off of the RETAIL price. So expect hers to be in the 400-500 range most likely. You also have the option of getting hers at a later time. If you waited until 22 months (if yours was eligible in February hers would be eligible in December of this year) then she would get the full upgrade pricing.

Upvote 0
Does Best Buy apply any discounts when you buy a phone there? I've been with sprint for a REALLY long time, and everytime I get a new phone (usually every 2 years) I call and order from Telesales. I always ask if there is any extra discounts for being a loyal customer, and I usually get an extra $100 dollars off instantly, and free shipping for the phone. I'm guessing for this to happen, I would have to call and have the discount applied before I go get the phone at Best Buy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones