1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Buying new tablet - but which one?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Android1337, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Android1337

Android1337 Newbie

Hi guys so I decided to buy a new android tablet, but I don't know which one.
    What the tablet should have:
    - A mic
    - Android 4.x ICS
    - Good touch screen
    My budget:
    $0 - $250
    Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

That pretty much says Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 WiFi.

3. Android1337

Android1337 Newbie

I was going to buy the Nexus 7, but the only downfall to it is that it doesn't support a TF card. Thanks though. Any other suggestions?

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

The Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 WiFi is the only other choice I'd take IMO, unless maybe you can get a second hand Transformer Prime.

5. Android1337

Android1337 Newbie

Actually, after reading a bit more, in my opinion I would only go for the Samsung 2 7.0 if I wanted 3G, which I really don't. My question to you is:
    Is the new Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0 Student Edition worth it? Or should I go with the Nexus 7?

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

The Student Edition gives you a keyboard along with the tablet, and no it doesn't have 3G. The Student Edition contains the WiFi Only version of the Tab 2. The Nexus 7 offers better performance with its quad core vs Samsung's dual core, but you lose the back camera and expandable storage, and the keyboard. You do however get the latest updates.

Personally, I'm fine with dual cores. Heck my phone is single core and I'm fine with it. Practicality says keyboard+back camera+expandable storage is better than quad core and updates. Geek side says different though.

7. Android1337

Android1337 Newbie

Yeah but I'm thinking more long term you know? Like I don't want the new apps coming out next year to not be as good on the Galaxy 2 7.0 as they would be on the Nexus 7. I guess I could get the 16GB version of the Nexus 7, which is a lot for apps and save all my music to Cloud.

8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

I dunno, in this day and age of dual core and quad core phones, my single core Galaxy S is still doing nicely. :D The only thing missing is Chrome since I haven't flashed it yet to ICS, but I'll get there when I have the time. Apps still run smoothly, and while it doesn't load as fast as my dual core Tab 7 Plus, its still very good and as good as the mid range devices out there now.

9. agilpwd

agilpwd Newbie

I am brand new to tablets, but through research online, budget and wanting something small enough for my purse, I was down to the obvious two choices, the new Nexus or the Galaxy Tab 2 7". Never could make up my mind, but husband got me the Galaxy as a surprise gift and I love it. It's been a week and I am still playing with things like which browser, apps, setting up home screens, searching cases, etc.

I have a Droid Incredible 2 phone and a first gen e ink NOOK. Finding how much my Tab can combine the functions of the two. (okay, it doesn't make calls and will never replace my NOOK for reading outdoors) Would I be just as happy if he'd gotten me the Nexus? Quite possibly, but overall, this newbie is finding Galaxy Tab 2,7.0 great, and fairly easy to learn.

10. Android1337

Android1337 Newbie

So I guess it's between the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.
    Well after doing a lot of research online I think i'm going to go with the Nexus 7.
    Because i'll be gamging a lot and multi-tasking plus I really want the new updates. So the processor does matter to me, and I know i'll be rooting it so I could easily buy a MicroSD USB card reader.
    Thanks for your answers though.

11. saptech

saptech Android Expert

The keyboard and accessories bundle with the Tab 2 is looking mighty good about now for me....decisions decisions!

Need money need money...

12. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...

Personally, and this is only my opinion, I'm not a fan of buying a tablet with 4G/3G on it. Why you ask? Because it limits your options. I'd rather buy a WiFi tablet and then get a MiFi adapter from my carrier of choice (or pay to tether to my phone). I can then tether the tablet to the MiFi adapter when I need it. If I happen to have a different tablet with me that day, I can tether that to the MiFi. If I have my work laptop with me I can tether that to the MiFi.

To me that affords me more options... and I like having options!