1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Buying phone for use with CDMA network, which one

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Corksil, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Corksil

Corksil Lurker

Hey I want to switch out of verizon because there is a carrier in my area that is much cheaper for many more features.

I have no credit, so i cannot get the discounted htc desire phone for 190usd with a new contract.

i have to go month to month, which is not a problem - except the service provider wants to charge me 400usd for the phone.

i think it would be much cheaper to just buy an htc desire off of ebay or something like that.

i am fine with buying a used phone from someone, but i am getting really confused on what i need.

the service provider is vague in their terms, apparently i need an htc desire that
    -works on CDMA networks
    -uses EV_DO revision A
    -does not have a SIM card

they told me that if i bring them an HTC desire with those qualifications, i could use it with their network. I may have to pay 50 bucks to 're-flash' it or something, but it bringing in my own phone still seems cheaper than paying 400usd for a new phone without a contract.

it seems like there are a bunch of different htc desire phones, and they have different network compatibility.

my question is....
    - how can i make sure a CDMA HTC Desire phone without a SIM card bought off of ebay will be compatible with the new service provider?

thanks

2. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert

My unlocked, unbranded HTC Desire that I bought online (with no contract) cost me $550 USD at the time I bought it. I'm not sure you will be able to find a new HTC Desire that is much cheaper than $350 online.

It would also need to be an unlocked phone. Unlocked CDMA phones aren't that popular. Not as easy to switch carriers as just popping in/out a SIM card.

3. dannylill1981

dannylill1981 Member

as long as you buy a cdma desire and not a gsm desire you should be ok.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews