• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buying the Atrix Internationally

megadry

Lurker
Feb 15, 2011
Does anyone here have previous experience with what the price-points of Android phones are on ebay etc. vs the provider price? I'm wondering if its going to be like a $50 hike, or more like $200 at the beginning when every phone is on a contract.

Are there issues with scarcity for a while after launch when it comes to getting them off-contract? It would be good if I could just order one to Japan sometime in march.

I wonder how soon it will be until AT&T aren't the only source of them...
Bell Canada will be getting the Atrix a week after AT&T. So that should increase the numbers put on ebay and gets the price reduced. $750 isn't too bad considering that the phone isn't out yet. I remember that some pre-released phones ran $1000+ (might be an iPhone, lol)

Upvote 0
For anyone else in Japan like me, it seems like the atrix should work on Docomo's FOMA network (and hence bmobile too) for data, but I'm not 100% sure. Calls are mostly via 3g here as far as I know, so if data works, everything else will.

Atrix:

GSM:
  • 850, 900, 1800, 1900
UMTS:
  • 850, 1900, 2100
EDGE

UMTS:
  • Yes
HSDPA:
  • Yes (HSDPA 14.4 Mbit/s)

• HSUPA 2.0 Mbit/s

Docomo:
3G FOMA W-CDMA services on the 2 GHz (UMTS2100) and 800 MHz(UMTS800(Band VI)) and 1700 MHz(UMTS1700(Band IX)) bands.
[SIZE=+1]
FOMA WCDMA Technical summary[/SIZE]

Frequency band:1920-1980 and 2110-2170 MHz (Frequency Division Duplex) UL and DL

Softbank also seems ok:
SoftBank Mobile currently operates both PDC (Japanese 2G) and W-CDMA (UMTS 3G) networks. SoftBank's 3G network is compatible with UMTS and supports transparent global roaming for existing UMTS subscribers from other countries outside Japan.

Upvote 0
Don't know if there are rules against threads that are mainly you replying to yourself, but for people who are in a similar international situation Motorola Atrix 4G Smartphone AT&T Unlocked US Version at MobileCityOnline.com have the atrix for $550, and though they don't deliver internationally you can have it forwarded abroad by a company like USA Address & Mail Forwarding .

For now its the cheapest way to get it internationally, quickly, but it remains to be seen what the launch will do to ebay prices.

EDIT: or locked for $499 http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wir...m=organic&utm_term=ATRIX&utm_campaign=froogle

Upvote 0
Bell Canada will be getting the Atrix a week after AT&T. So that should increase the numbers put on ebay and gets the price reduced. $750 isn't too bad considering that the phone isn't out yet. I remember that some pre-released phones ran $1000+ (might be an iPhone, lol)
where did you get that bell info from? Last I heard it was on March 17th or something near that date.

Upvote 0
where did you get that bell info from? Last I heard it was on March 17th or something near that date.

Ah sorry, when I posted that the 'official date' was for the first week of March. That's why I said 'a week after AT&T' XD But of course AT&T released it a couple of weeks early :/ I have my fingers crossed that Bell would do the same *hopes*.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones