1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Buying the Samsung Galaxy Note unlocked

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by cutesyjasmine, Apr 29, 2012.

1. cutesyjasmine

cutesyjasmine Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2012
    My mom is going to be buying me the note the week after this week. She really doesn't like 2 year contracts, so she wants to buy it unlocked(she probably would have bought the 2 year contract, but she has Verizon, and another cell phone with straight talk)

Anyway I already know that I would need a SIM card to connect to the internet on the go(like at school, even though I'm not suppose to have it hehe). Do I have to buy the SIM card at only AT&T?? Or can my mom like get it from straight talk or Verizon?? and if this helps I noticed there are 2 different versions of the note, and my mom is getting the European version from Amazon. Oh and what exactly is the SIM card for anyway??

Advertisement

2. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Male
    Entrepreneur / Business Owner - Freelance Writer
    Loganville, GA
    Hey cutesyjasmine. :ciao:

Welcome to Android Forums. Thanks for joining the community. Congratulations! The Galaxy Note is a beast - I wish I was getting that bad boy. :)

Here's a link to the Samsung Galaxy Note - Android Forums where you can read up on this device. Find tips and be able to interact with other users of this device.

As for your question: SIM is short for Subscriber Identity Module, a "smart" card securely storing subscriber-related data, such as phone numbers, service details, and memory for storing messages (depending on the phone); also called SIM card. GSM technology uses a SIM to authenticate the phone on the network. In the U.S. AT&T and T-mobile are GSM providers. If you buy a phone from AT&T it will come with a SIM card. If you aren't opening a new account then having her SIM card will essentially put your phone on her account with her number.

cutesyjasmine likes this.