• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

By giving device admin access, the permissions tab greyed

jraju

Jan 8, 2017
Hi, am using samsung galaxy m01 core, which is different from country to country.
My phone does not have the feature , overlay over the other apps setting.
This phone is only having power and volume button and home button is shown on opening of the phone.
screen timeout is 30 seconds and on every time the phone screen out, I have to press the power key to get in to the home screen.
Frequent use of power key would definitely damage the power key and power key is important for all phone activity.
Third party apps which sought overlay access, has been denied with feature not available alerts.
Samsung does not come with any solution so far for this annoying issue.
No app is available on play google and samsung galaxy stores.
Of late, i surfed for apps, and found one app, which gives the desired results , but when I gave the admin access, for locking the screen, as alerted by the app, the permission tab becomes greyed totally. If I remove the permission, the app would not work.
But , why this happens, I do not know.
Please also say, if permission tab is not available on that app, is it safe to continue with the app
Of course, the special access tab shows that it has special access, but when I open to see, the permission tab is not accessible as it greys.
I would request you to recommend fixes
1. other apps which asks for permission but shows the permission tab to see what the permissions are given by me to admin access.
2. or recommend an app, which does not need overlay over other apps, feature not available in my phone settings at all, but could do what I want.
I just want to save my power key from pressing to open the home screen for empteen times on every screen out time.

Hi, there was no reply for my genuine concern. I noted that by giving device admin power, to Lock the screen, the permission tab is getting totally greyed.
But in security apps, when we give the same, the permission tab is showing and we could see the permissions what we have given.
Does it not pose security concern for the users of apps, who do not know, what
Suppose an app, showing the permissions in the app page, but actually accessing more than what required for it to function, is there not a security concern.
I think that this is the appropriate forum to raise the query ,
I will list the information, so that anybody well versed in the android app developer programming may give an idea.
1. Does an app , need all the permissions of the android world to get it work?
2. When user give admin permission, does the device is greying the permission tab? I hope not.
3. Is there any sort of mechanism, on play protect scan, to check that only required permissions have been used by the apps in .
4. We usually found apps are being deleted after users are affected by malicious apps, that were allowed by play google not at the time of install, but after use by the users as stealing personal information and advised to delete those apps
Ok, let me come to the permissions of the app,
the permission the app sought are
Device & app history
  • retrieve running apps
Other
  • bind to an accessibility service
  • update component usage statistics
  • receive data from Internet
  • view network connections
  • full network access
  • run at startup
  • draw over other apps
  • control vibration
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • modify system settings
  • install shortcuts
  • uninstall shortcuts It almost has all the android permission list. Experts please reply

Upvote 0
Hi, there was no reply for my genuine concern. I noted that by giving device admin power, to Lock the screen, the permission tab is getting totally greyed.
But in security apps, when we give the same, the permission tab is showing and we could see the permissions what we have given.
Does it not pose security concern for the users of apps, who do not know, what
Suppose an app, showing the permissions in the app page, but actually accessing more than what required for it to function, is there not a security concern.
I think that this is the appropriate forum to raise the query ,
I will list the information, so that anybody well versed in the android app developer programming may give an idea.
2. When user give admin permission, does the device is greying the permission tab? I hope not.
3. Is there any sort of mechanism, on play protect scan, to check that only required permissions have been used by the apps in .
4. We usually found apps are being deleted after users are affected by malicious apps, that were allowed by play google not at the time of install, but after use by the users as stealing personal information and advised to delete those apps
Device & app history
  • retrieve running apps
Other
  • full network access
  • run at startup
  • draw over other apps
  • control vibration
  • modify system settings
  • install shortcuts
  • uninstall shortcuts It almost has all the android permission list. Experts please reply

Perhaps nobody could give you definitive answers to your list, and I certainly can't. I never use any third-party "security" apps, because most of them are really just snake-oil AFAICT, and may have their own privacy and security issues, like data mining and ads.

Upvote 0
Hi, am using samsung galaxy m01 core, which is different from country to country.
My phone does not have the feature , overlay over the other apps setting.
This phone is only having power and volume button and home button is shown on opening of the phone.
screen timeout is 30 seconds and on every time the phone screen out, I have to press the power key to get in to the home screen.
Frequent use of power key would definitely damage the power key and power key is important for all phone activity.
Third party apps which sought overlay access, has been denied with feature not available alerts.
Samsung does not come with any solution so far for this annoying issue.
No app is available on play google and samsung galaxy stores.
Of late, i surfed for apps, and found one app, which gives the desired results , but when I gave the admin access, for locking the screen, as alerted by the app, the permission tab becomes greyed totally. If I remove the permission, the app would not work.
But , why this happens, I do not know.
Please also say, if permission tab is not available on that app, is it safe to continue with the app
Of course, the special access tab shows that it has special access, but when I open to see, the permission tab is not accessible as it greys.
I would request you to recommend fixes
1. other apps which asks for permission but shows the permission tab to see what the permissions are given by me to admin access.
2. or recommend an app, which does not need overlay over other apps, feature not available in my phone settings at all, but could do what I want.
I just want to save my power key from pressing to open the home screen for empteen times on every screen out time.

Frequent use of the power-key may wear it out more, same with any moving part. If it actually wears to the extent that it fails, before the device itself is no longer useful to you, or something else fails, etc. and you replace it.....YMMV.

The last few phones I've had I don't actually have to use the power-key to turn on the screen, I've either just tapped or swiped the screens, or used the fingerprint sensors.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze and Hadron
Upvote 0
As Mike has said, the reason you got no answer is probably that nobody felt they could answer it. But a few quick comments on this list:
What permissions an app needs depends on what the app does. No app needs every permission. Many apps ask for permissions they don't need (I usually advise people not to install apps that ask for unnecessary permissions, but you need to understand the permissions well enough to judge what an app might need).
I honestly don't understand this question.
It may be a Samsung software thing (I don't have a Samsung device, and they change the user interface completely), but I'm not certain what "permissions tab" you mean. In my system settings I can set or deny permissions for apps which I have granted device admin rights to just the same as I can for any other app.
You mean do Google scan what permissions an app actually needs and reject it if it asks for more? No, they don't: there are definitely apps in the Play Store that ask for permissions that are not needed for their function.
That is a statement rather than a question. But yes, when an app is detected to be malicious and Google realise this is the case they will delete it from the Play Store. They can remove it from devices that have installed it, but I don't know how often they actually do (they certainly don't do it in all cases). If you have actually seen this happening, and seen it happening regularly, then you are clearly browsing the wrong type of app because it isn't all that common.
Device & app history
  • retrieve running apps
Other
  • full network access
  • run at startup
  • draw over other apps
  • control vibration
  • modify system settings
  • install shortcuts
Er, yes. And? I've no idea what app you are talking about, so no way of judging whether the permissions it asks for are reasonable.

Reactions: mikedt and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones