1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Calendar app that shows multiple Google calendars side-by-side

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by damo383, May 2, 2012.

1. damo383

damo383 Lurker
    None

May 1, 2012
    Hi folks,

I'm trying to find a calendar app that shows multiple google calendars side-by-side.

We've got a gmail account for our flying club, and we have several calendars set up inside it - one for each aircraft, and one for instructor availability.

The idea is that the booking officer can see slots when the aircraft are free, make an entry in the relevant aircraft's calendar when it's booked, and also see at a glance when each instructor is on-duty.

Trouble is, all calendar apps I've found show all calendars in the same column (ie. one per day). Hence you have to focus on the colours of each calendar and gaze into the mess to try and see when a specific aircraft is free.

It would be much easier, if we could display 4 columns - one for each aircraft - and so easily spot the empty gaps in the day for each.

Google calendar is otherwise perfect, as we can share read-access with the club members, and read-write with the instructors

Is anyone aware of such an app?

Thanks!

Damo

Advertisement

2. funpig

funpig Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2010
    Are you happy with the way the Google calendar works for you on your computer? I assume that you have set up 4 google calendars with 4 different colours for the 4 planes. If you book 4 events for the 4 planes at the same time, each will show up in the same time slot side by side. Is that satisfactory for your needs?

If so, Calengoo will do the same thing as the google calendar. Note it does not create 4 separate columns for each calendar. I hope that helps.

3. funpig

funpig Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2010
    As I think about this, there may be a way for you to artificially create columns in Calengoo/Google.

First you need to make a template day. For each time slot (say 1 hour) of the work day, you create a blank event for each of the four planes. Assume you have a 10 hour work day, you will have a 4 x 10 grid. Each column of ten will be of the same colour representing that day's schedule for one plane. In this template, every event will be blank.

You could then set each event to repeat for each week day or work day (can be done in either calengoo or google). This will fill out your calendar to infinity (or however long you want) of blank days.

Then as you add scheduling, you can go to each blank hour and fill in the schedule. The big danger is this. When you edit one box, Calengoo and google will ask whether you are only editing that one event or all the repeating events. You should only edit that one box, otherwise if you will edit all or all the following repeating events, you will lose any previous scheduling.

IMO, the risk of screwing up your scheduling with unintended edits of repeating events is high and I would probably prefer not to do it this way. You could just set up the one hour blank template and just copy and paste as you go with each new day/event. This would avoid the repeating events, but would make it somewhat more cumbersome.

This is just a suggested workaround. I hope it helps.

4. damo383

damo383 Lurker
    None

May 1, 2012
    Unfortunately our booking officer is not at all tech savvy, so the workaround would be way too complicated for him!

And yeah, the standard is colour-coding only, but I really need separate columns to make it easier to understand :-(

Thanks for the suggestions!

5. Jean Lim

Jean Lim Lurker
    None

Oct 11, 2015
    I would really like an answer to this question too!! I have 8 calendars I would like to see and the colour coded boxes interspersed randomly are really messy