• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Calendar & other ?'s

I don't know if the following has been discussed already and if so, I apologize ahead of time.

As for a calendar. Does it and everything else, such as contacts and such HAVE to be synced with Google?
I am self employed in direct sales and I need a calendar to where I can schedule my home parties and such on. If anyone has any suggestions on a calendar from market that I can use, as I really do not like the one that came with the phone.

I know it's a google phone, but I don't want to sync contacts I manually add with google each and everytime if I don't have to.

TIA

Sharon

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Are you asking for a different calendar program or if you can disable the GMail sync?

You don't have to sync with GMail, but why would you not? Doing so is like keeping a backup of your info in case you have to reset or go to another device.

It is possible to disable GMail sync. From the Home screen click on Menu -> Settings -> Data Syncronization. Uncheck Auto-sync.

Richard

Upvote 0
In line with what I think Sharon is asking, I also am not satisfied with calendar provided with phone. HTC Eris from Verizon is what I am using. I originally was a Palm user which had the BEST calendar function and then switched to BB as Palm is going wrong direction. Well my main reason for trying the Droid is the research I did found that the GMail calendar function is probably better than Palm as you can create multiple "calendars" with different colors which is required for my needs. My question is this, when I have the calendar open, regardless of view, I am unable to go day to day or "scroll" through calendar. I am hoping that I have just not figured out how to do it but thus far, to change days, I must go to month view, pick each day from there to add events, edit, etc.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

RB

Upvote 0
In line with what I think Sharon is asking, I also am not satisfied with calendar provided with phone. HTC Eris from Verizon is what I am using. I originally was a Palm user which had the BEST calendar function and then switched to BB as Palm is going wrong direction. Well my main reason for trying the Droid is the research I did found that the GMail calendar function is probably better than Palm as you can create multiple "calendars" with different colors which is required for my needs. My question is this, when I have the calendar open, regardless of view, I am unable to go day to day or "scroll" through calendar. I am hoping that I have just not figured out how to do it but thus far, to change days, I must go to month view, pick each day from there to add events, edit, etc.

RB
So wait... you are using the Droid? I assume the calendar is the same as the one on the Moment (this is a Moment forum). Anyways, pick your day, and swipe up and down to see the hour slots for that day... or swipe Left or Right to switch to switch to the next day/previous day.

This ability to switch between days can also be sped up greatly by using the optical pad (which switches the days fast enough so that it is essentially a scrolling effect of up to 10 days per swipe).

Anyways, whichever view you are in, try swiping up/down or left/right. It's a different concept than the regular BB or Palm, but much easier. I'm sure that you'll get used to it quickly.

Upvote 0
I'm not really sure what you are asking. Are you asking for a different calendar program or if you can disable the GMail sync?

You don't have to sync with GMail, but why would you not? Doing so is like keeping a backup of your info in case you have to reset or go to another device.

It is possible to disable GMail sync. From the Home screen click on Menu -> Settings -> Data Syncronization. Uncheck Auto-sync.

Richard

Thanks! :)

I understand about the gmail sync.

I am also asking if there is another type of calendar app I can use for scheduling and such other than the stock calendar with the phone. It would be great if I could sync with the calendar I have on my laptop, windows calendar, as I have that set up with a personal and business combo.

Upvote 0

RB

I am in similar situation. I had the Palm Treo 755p liked calendar and contacts...fast, easy, intuitive and good search function. I am considering turning in my Samsung Moment and turning my Treo back on...Unless i can find a better calendar and contacts program. I did find an app for searching in the android market called Aurora. It is not perfect but i understand it is constantly being updated...as probably most of the new android products...all too new. I had to find a doctors appointment and did not know when it was. I do not want to have to scroll day by day maybe for months to find it. Aurora found it instantly. It appears to search the entire phone for the word you are looking for..Howeve i did email them today because i noticed that it found what i was looking for in contacts but some of the notes did not show up. Some frustration with a new system...but i am very disappointed in how google could ship such a poor software group.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones