• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Calendar reminders could lead to divorce

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - I have searched both on this forum and others and haven't found an answer that worked.

My wife might leave me unless I can find a way to fix this problem. :)

We have a lot of all-day events in our Google Calendar, which we want a *visual* reminder of.. but have no desire to be woken in the middle of the night by an *audible* alarm reminder.

I must be missing something so simple - but how do we turn the Calendar alarm off for these, or at least prevent it from sounding in the hours of darkness?

Yours in hope of positive relationship guidance,

This was bugging me too, and my fiancee was not happy the last couple nights when work deadline reminders woke us up. So here's what I came up with and it works great.

-Go get Ringdroid (the free ring tone creation/editing app)

-in Ringdroid > Record New (do this somewhere quiet). Just make a 1 or two second recording. It will save with today's date as the file name by default.

-Go back to the Ringdroid main screen search for your recording and click it. Move the slider bars around to get yourself a .1 second long recording. The app requires some length, or it won't save, .1 seemed to be fine.

-Click the Save icon, name it Silent, and set the type as Notification.

-You can go back to your calendar app and change the notification sound to be "Silent"

Absolutely stupid that you have to do this, but it works. Hope that helps.

Reactions: sleepingbeauty
Upvote 0
On the handset click -

Calendar > Date > Select the event > You should be in Event Details > Press Menu > Edit > Drop down Reminders > Select "None" > Save

Easy :D

If you have a Event which is on multiple dates/repeat, you get the option to edit just that one event, all events or that event and all future events.

If you want to add a reminder to an event -

Calendar > Date > Select the event > You should be in Event Details > Press Menu > Edit > Menu > Add reminder > Drop down Reminders > Select the time period before the event you want reminding > Save

Chegs.

Upvote 0
On the handset click -

Calendar > Date > Select the event > You should be in Event Details > Press Menu > Edit > Drop down Reminders > Select "None" > Save

Easy :D

If you have a Event which is on multiple dates/repeat, you get the option to edit just that one event, all events or that event and all future events.

If you want to add a reminder to an event -

Calendar > Date > Select the event > You should be in Event Details > Press Menu > Edit > Menu > Add reminder > Drop down Reminders > Select the time period before the event you want reminding > Save

Chegs.

That means you have to do that for EVERY event... if you get many meeting requests a week or day that's a real pain.

Upvote 0
When your inputting a new meeting, just turn the reminder off. It's only takes a drop down and check, no need to go through the above process each time.

but what about meeting requests sent to you by people on your exchange server? And what about the visual reminders? Remember the orignal poster (and myself) like the the visual reminders, just not the sounds....

Upvote 0
but what about meeting requests sent to you by people on your exchange server? And what about the visual reminders? Remember the orignal poster (and myself) like the the visual reminders, just not the sounds....

That is a great thought. In fact, I use SMSPOPup and love that app. I would love to see that type of option for my calendar.

Upvote 0
The solution I came up with in post #5 allows this...

Yes, but it breaks the whole concept of reminders. If you dont want a reminder, dont set one. If you dont want audio, either manually mute the audio or use one of the apps that mutes it based on time, place, etc...
Changing the audio file to a silent mp3 makes reminders never work; unless you change the notification file everytime you want it; which would be a bigger pain than simply setting the reminder as you wish in the first place.

Upvote 0
Yes, but it breaks the whole concept of reminders. If you dont want a reminder, dont set one. If you dont want audio, either manually mute the audio or use one of the apps that mutes it based on time, place, etc...
Changing the audio file to a silent mp3 makes reminders never work; unless you change the notification file everytime you want it; which would be a bigger pain than simply setting the reminder as you wish in the first place.

Dude, did you read the original post? the request was to turn off sound for calendar reminders only... that means, phone call sounds should come through, ssms tones should come through, personal email account sounds should come thruogh... etc. The OP Never wants sounds for the calendar reminders (although they would settle for turning those sounds off at night). They still want the reminders though... you know the blinking light and the message on the phone screen. So you still get a visual reminder, just never an audible one. Which means the concept of reminders is not broken.

...We have a lot of all-day events in our Google Calendar, which we want a *visual* reminder of.. but have no desire to be woken in the middle of the night by an *audible* alarm reminder...

... how do we turn the Calendar alarm off for these, or at leastprevent it from sounding in the hours of darkness?...

That was the request, and the solution I provided does just that. It allows for visual alarm, but no sound. I was not trying to provide a solution for any other situation you may be thinking of (such as all sounds off at certain times). None of the other solutions posted here address the original request directly.

Also stop suggesting to not set a reminder since the OP wants the VISUAL reminder... plus (I know they said gMail calendar), but have you ever used an exchange calendar? when somebody sends you a meeting request they set the reminder, not you... So not setting a reminder means you have to manually edit every meeting request you get (which once again, turns off the visual reminder not to mention the extra clicks required). This solution is not for everyone, I know... it's just for those that want no sounds for their calendar reminders but still want the visual reminder!

Upvote 0
This was bugging me too, and my fiancee was not happy the last couple nights when work deadline reminders woke us up. So here's what I came up with and it works great.

-Go get Ringdroid (the free ring tone creation/editing app)

-in Ringdroid > Record New (do this somewhere quiet). Just make a 1 or two second recording. It will save with today's date as the file name by default.

-Go back to the Ringdroid main screen search for your recording and click it. Move the slider bars around to get yourself a .1 second long recording. The app requires some length, or it won't save, .1 seemed to be fine.

-Click the Save icon, name it Silent, and set the type as Notification.

-You can go back to your calendar app and change the notification sound to be "Silent"

Absolutely stupid that you have to do this, but it works. Hope that helps.

Thanks for this inventive suggestion - I will give it a try.

And yes, it is absolutely bonkers that we have to go to this effort to do something so simple..

Upvote 0
I am part of the team who released Timeriffic that handles this nice and easy.
Cyrket - Timeriffic

We just released an updated UI. Let us know if you like it.

Another vote for Timeriffic - it's the most useful app in the store so far (that and the free SSH app - it's stunning).
Sorry to hijack this a little but I wanted to ask dkaufman1 if the reason for no bluetooth support was the absence of SDK support for bluetooth?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Another vote for Timeriffic - it's the most useful app in the store so far (that and the free SSH app - it's stunning).
Sorry to hijack this a little but I wanted to ask dkaufman1 if the reason for no bluetooth support was the absence of SDK support for bluetooth?

Thanks.

Look for answer soon. My partner is going to answer.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this inventive suggestion - I will give it a try.

And yes, it is absolutely bonkers that we have to go to this effort to do something so simple..

Note that you may not have to use Ringdroid to create a silent notification sound. IIRC on a stock Android 1.6 / Donut you should already have a ringtone called "Silent" that does exactly that. If you don't use a default Android build, complain to the modder or the manufacturer!

Upvote 0

Thanks.

Hi there. Yeah I didn't do it because I couldn't find an SDK way to do it.

Last time I checked turning bluetooth on/off requires a secure setting API (which means regular SDK apps can read the setting but not change it). According to the SDK guidelines, apps that want to change the setting are encouraged to just call the setting activity, which is not what I wanted. The setting activity itself uses a private bluetooth API not part of the SDK.

Upvote 0
Hi there. Yeah I didn't do it because I couldn't find an SDK way to do it.

Last time I checked turning bluetooth on/off requires a secure setting API (which means regular SDK apps can read the setting but not change it). According to the SDK guidelines, apps that want to change the setting are encouraged to just call the setting activity, which is not what I wanted. The setting activity itself uses a private bluetooth API not part of the SDK.

Thanks. It makes no sense that they would expose all other switches but the bluetooth one.

Upvote 0
core you are a lifesaver! my droid is actually the Eris and is running Android v1.5 and i don't have "silent" as an option for notifications (how could you forget to put in something like that?!).

i used ringdroid and created 0.1 sec of blank audio and named it "shut the f*** up" as i am pretty frustrated with this issue and am tired of being woken up at 1am, the only solution before was to turn my phone off.

for those of you saying "just disable all reminders", not only does that take away the visual reminders too which (like the OP) i also want, but it's also almost impossible to do when people send you calendar events in exchange constantly. i don't want to edit every single calendar event that comes across my plate. core i can't thank you enough, smart thinking :D

Upvote 0
I don't see that as a solution, sorry to differ.
While timeriffic is a great app, IMO core's solution is the only one proposed so far which disables *only* notification sounds, *only* for the calendar. Everything else that's been suggested either disables all sound, or disables all notifications for the calendar.

The calendar app could really use some work, especially w.r.t. setting reminders. What if i need to be reminded 4 hours before the event? Or 3 days? Or at ten minutes past 2 on the day before? I'm all for making things easy to use, but if youre going to go the iPhone route and reduce everything to the level of complexity of a fisher-price toy, losing useful functionality in the process, then eventually people are going to stop taking you seriously.

Upvote 0
i use AudioManager Widget it allows you to set the volume for Alarm, M usic, Alerts, Ringer, System and Voice call separately.

I had the same issue as you and now when i go to bed i just set the Alarm Vol to full and turn all the others off.

Works a treat and it is free from the market.

The widget is handy too ...

:)

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones