1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Cali guy living in Thailand-help me!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by hockeyrick, Sep 19, 2011.

1. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Newbie

Hey!

Just lost my Nexus 1 here and and having my son in Orange Co, Calif get me an HTC Evo 4g.
    My questions are, of the carriers, is any one better for converting to gsm/worldphone status? Sprint, At&T, Metropcs, Verizon???

I believe it has to be unlocked, rooted, and make sure it has a sim, but anything else?
    There are shops all over so I guess they are well versed in this?
    Does it matter if it has a bad ESN? For me here in Thai?

Would you recommend them to do anything else to the phone while they got it to make it super for here?

Appreciate any help and advice you all can give, pm me or send me an email-hockeyrick@hotmail.com

Rick

Advertisement

2. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

EVO are Sprint phones...
    sprint phones are CDMA not GSM...
    sprint phones (most) do not use SIM cards...
    there maybe ways to use CDMA phones in your area, but you should confirm carrier support first.

i recommend you find GSM phones from ATT and Tmobile..

3. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Newbie

Hey Dan
    so, no one else has an evo? So you mean HTC makes phones especially for certain carriers?
    Thx for the info but will check, hard to imagine their manufacturing can accomodate various installation setups
    thanks again

4. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Android Expert

The closest gsm phone I can think of to an evo 4G would be an HD2(t mobile) Unfortunately youd have to have android put on it as its a winmo phone. Also no 4G, smaller 5mp camera, no front facing camera, HDMI out port, or 720p video recording...other than that they are the same phone lol

5. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Android Expert

Actually look into the mytouch 4G and G2X from tmobile

6. Bnice

Bnice Guest

They all have something similar to the HTC EVO. AT&T has the HTC Inspire and Verizon has the HTC Thunderbolt. If you are not in a hurry for a phone and can wait, a new nexus phone is coming soon.

7. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

there are other HTC phones that are similar to the EVO... for other carriers and GSM...

Desire HD is the the GSM version... and android.
    you should be able to find it in your area...
    of course these phones are 1 yr old and that makes them the best priced compared to new and more powerful versions out now (ex: EVO 3D and the Sensation)

you really need to find out which carrier you want to use first pertaining to coverage, support, and price.. and what they support.. GSM (SIM card) vs CDMA
    then find the phones that match your needs and the carrier's.

picking the phone first .. has a huge potential to bite you in the ass!