• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Calibrate your Compass after OTA or wipe

Yeah, that's what I thought. I read a post that mentioned a compass, and I was like, hey, I don't see that. I tried it again after seeing your reply and it still doesn't work right. All I get is the "Calibrate" and "Cancel" buttons and hitting "Calibrate" does absolutely nothing. I just get the "fake" phone flipping around. I remember trying this when I first got the phone too, and nothing happened then either. I think I have a busted Compass Calibration setting :(

same here.

frustrating.

since 2.2 my screen goes to landscape waaay to easily..

Upvote 0
I couldn't get mine to work either. It kept turning red. Finally I watched a youtube video on how the iPhone calibrates. You do a figure 8 motion in the air. I tried that for about 30-45 secs and it turned green and said it was calibrated!

Ok so I tried what you said and guess what....it worked the first time. I have tried at least 10 times before and go the red screen, I could not believe it when it turned green. After doing this the phone is not as sensitive as it was before.

Upvote 0
Those that are having problems with this...are you doing all 3 axis then reversing them, just like the animation shows? Works every time for me.

Hold phone straight up (power button to the sky)
Slowly (like take 2 seconds per 1 full revolution)
Back Flip it once
Spin it left once
Cartwheel it left once
Cartwheel it right once
Spin it right once
Front Flip it once
now start over...

Shouldn't take much more than 3 or 4 times through this procedure for it to turn green.

Had to power off and on again, but this worked. Thank god! I was getting really frustrated.

Upvote 0
Those that are having problems with this...are you doing all 3 axis then reversing them, just like the animation shows? Works every time for me.

Hold phone straight up (power button to the sky)
Slowly (like take 2 seconds per 1 full revolution)
Back Flip it once
Spin it left once
Cartwheel it left once
Cartwheel it right once
Spin it right once
Front Flip it once
now start over...

Shouldn't take much more than 3 or 4 times through this procedure for it to turn green.

Worked the first time around for me, without having to "start over". Thank you!

Upvote 0
I'm back, because my phone was going to landscape too easily and getting annoying. I still couldn't get the compass, so I just tried hitting the Calibrate button like 50 times FAST AS HELL and I got the compass to appear. After a few rotations, it turned green. I was like, wow, that was easy...until I tested it. My phone refuses to go to landscape at all now!! So I said, well, let me try again. So after my 50 taps, I went throught the same motions, got the red compass folks were complaining about. I went into my apps and saw that I had DL'ed the Compass app months ago, so I deleted it and went back to settings...nope still needs 50 taps and still got red. Did a reboot, and same result. I can no longer get into landscape mode, EVER!!!

I should have stuck with the way it was, too easy is better than never!!!!!!

Ideas?

EDIT: Did a battery pull and still nothing.
Signed, Stuck in Portrait mode :(

Upvote 0
I was having all kinds of issues no matter what I did. I even tried the figure 8s and it still turned red. Then found a tip posted somewhere else, but basically its do a batter pull and restart right before you calibrate the compass.

I pulled my battery, restarted, and did the calibration by making the figure 8's on the vertical plane, as if you were drawing them on a chalk board. Bingo, worked in less than 1 minute, maybe it was 30 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP3d00Hr14o

Upvote 0
Thanks mortymouse, but I started a thread in the Support & Troubleshooting section to see if I could get help, and mxsjw beat you to the punch over there by about an hour. I don't know how that setting changed, but it's working great now.

Oh, and I don't know if it's a typo, but I needed to CHECK that option, not uncheck it.;)

Well glad it worked for you. :)

Upvote 0
What's the problem? It's kind of hard to help if you don't elaborate.
lol Well it doesn't calibrate haha. Seriously though, I tried doing it the way the phone shows, the figure 8 and it always just turns red. Tried going slower and faster with the movements and still the same thing. Turned phone off and pulled the battery too.

I was venting as much as anything though. Everyone in this thread explained things well so I guess I'll keep trying and maybe someday it will work.

Upvote 0
I was having all kinds of issues no matter what I did. I even tried the figure 8s and it still turned red. Then found a tip posted somewhere else, but basically its do a batter pull and restart right before you calibrate the compass.

I pulled my battery, restarted, and did the calibration by making the figure 8's on the vertical plane, as if you were drawing them on a chalk board. Bingo, worked in less than 1 minute, maybe it was 30 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP3d00Hr14o

WOW!!!! This really worked. I have tried hundreds of times to calibrate my compass with no success and I tried this way once and bingo. Its calibrated. Thanks Bud

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones