• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Calibre doesn't see Eris

notaguru

Android Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2010
S Cal
Calibre 0.7.13
W XP SP2
Firefox 3.6.8
Android phone: HTC ERIS
Android OS: 2.1
ebook readers: Aldiko, Laputa, Tulip
Eris is set up as a disk drive
I've tried disabling AV, etc. with no difference

An ebook can be "manually" moved from the PC to the correct folder in the Android's SD card, and Aldiko (for one) can find and read it on the device. Also, I can load an ebook into Calibre, and it can be read there.

HOWEVER, when I right-click on the ebook and try to send it to my device, the SEND TO STORAGE CARD A (etc.) options are grayed out. I cannot find a way to get the book onto the phone's microSD card, and into my Library.

Preferences > Advanced > Debugging device detection, I see a lot of "looking for" including Android, but no finding. The phone's SDcard is seen as a disk drive that CAN be accessed as such, so connectivity is ok.

What part of this IQ test have I failed?

??

I just use Caliber's built-in web server .

In Calibre, Preferences > Content Server > Check "Run server automatically on startup".
Make sure port 8080 is open in your firewall.
Browse to http://your.computers.ip.address:8080/ to use the web interface. There you can browse, search, and sort your entire collection and download them in whichever format you want. On the browser's download screen, tap the completed download and Aldiko will automatically install the ebook to your bookshelf.

If you know which book you want and its Calibre database number, you can directly download the epub by typing a URL into your browser's address bar like this: http://your.computers.ip.address:8080/get/epub/Title of The Book_CalibreDBNumber.epub

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Weird.

Check the port number for the content server in your Calibre preferences. It might be something other than 8080. I don't remember if that is default or if I changed mine to that.

Double check that you are using your current IP address as well. They tend to change on you at the most inconvenient times.

Also... Calibre is actually running on your PC while you try to access it, right?

Upvote 0
Thanks...
Still no-go with Calibre.

I've been pulling books from the net and material from our business operations, editing/optimizing in MSWord, saving as .txt, then using an online converter to produce epubs, which are then manually stored on my SD card.

It works.
It takes too much time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones