• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Call HTC and Complain about the Thunderbolt

gwircariad

Lurker
Jul 1, 2011
I just called HTC to complain. I got the same "Gingerbread will be out soon" schpeal, but in a very sympathetic way. He said the reason Gingerbread got delayed is because the last update (that caused the rebooting) broke more things than it fixed. So they have to undo what they did, then they can send out the new stuff. He said there was a maintenance update coming out, then Gingerbread would come out.

The rep did say the more people that call and complain, the faster they will get the updates out. So, people, call HTC and share your complaints...the battery life, the terrible gps, the rebooting...all of it! If everyone calls, maybe they'll get moving! Also, the survey on the HTC site apparently goes quite high on the food chain, so that would be helpful too.

Its something to do and it won't hurt. :) :p :eek:

We consumers always look at it from our needy selfish little perspective. Because we don't get any news whatsoever from them other than a bs release date, we speculate and assume. Right now everyone's assuming they're sitting on their ass not giving a crap about updating our phones when in reality, testing takes alot of time and money. If waiting a little longer means i get a better bug free update, i'd rather wait. There isn't a single thing my phone doesn't do that GB would bring to it.

When my old eris was waiting on 2.1...yeah it was a big deal. No apps to sd, flash or google nav. Now my wishlist of stuff i'm excited about is dwindling down and i feel like i have just about the most perfect phone i could ever want for 2011.

Upvote 0
Complain long enough and they will release a half finished GB and then what will you do. Really what can GB do that froyo cant on this phone. Sure it fixes the reboot problem. But you dont get sense 3.0 and you might get an updated radio. So why cant you wait and just flash the MR2 leaked update and fix your reboot issue. make the phone actually lovable.

Upvote 0
I don't have anything to complain about...

Really? I must say I love this phone by far my favorite device to date. It's only rebooted once on me in the 3 weeks I've owned it .. I couldn't care less about gingerbread but HOLY SHIT!!!! the battery life on this thing is outrageous !! Just ordered a wall charger and extended battery from Siedio..(not sure if I spelled that right) otherwise friggen love this phone and I'm rocking the otterbox defender case

Upvote 0
We consumers always look at it from our needy selfish little perspective. Because we don't get any news whatsoever from them other than a bs release date, we speculate and assume. Right now everyone's assuming they're sitting on their ass not giving a crap about updating our phones when in reality, testing takes alot of time and money. If waiting a little longer means i get a better bug free update, i'd rather wait. There isn't a single thing my phone doesn't do that GB would bring to it.

When my old eris was waiting on 2.1...yeah it was a big deal. No apps to sd, flash or google nav. Now my wishlist of stuff i'm excited about is dwindling down and i feel like i have just about the most perfect phone i could ever want for 2011.

C.O., while I agree with some of what you say, I completely disagree with your first sentence. Some people may be that way. However, when we pay top dollar for a FLAGSHIP phone (that starts off working relatively well) - then VZW & HTC push an "update" that causes random reboots in the middle of calls, while in the middle of retrieving messages, while in the middle of typing emails and/or SMS messages, and even worse is not a full reboot (no thunderbolt sound and is further evidenced by not receiving all emails and messages until after a manual "restart") -- all of which make this top dollar "FLAGSHIP" phone extremely unreliable, I fail to see how this creates "We consumers always look at it from our needy selfish little perspective." Further, within less than 2 months of launch, and aside from external vendors slashing the price of the phone, VZW further "punishes" their own early adopting corporate store and VZW on/line customers by creating special sales that only apply to specific customers and/or select geographic areas a price that is 40% of the price that we early adopters pay - again, I do not see how this is "We consumers always look at it from our needy selfish little perspective."

VZW has the network but these policies, with absolutely no compensation to those of us wrestling with these issues after paying top dollar have LEGITIMATE gripes that extend far beyond "our needy selfish little perspective."

Please do not misunderstand, I am not trying to rip into you. However, I am trying to point out that these issues are very real and VZW's responses and policies have been extremely unprofessional and inappropriate. So far, the only response I have been offered is a replacement "refurb" phone. Why should I accept a refurb phone when they ruined my perfectly working brand new one I paid contract commitment full price for (and the refurb will likely have the plagued update that will likely continue to suffer from the same issues). Now, top all of this off with the announcement that a "new radio update" was to be pushed on June 15th to fix these issues and that date came and went with nothing. Then another announcement that gingerbread and the new radio OTA push would come by the end of June with so many other new features including the skype with video (for which the front facing cam was designed for and has so far been useless) - also has not happened. And, to top it all off, we are locked into contractual commitments with substantial ETF fees if we are unhappy. This combination of issues goes so far beyond unreasonable and unprofessional that there are no words to effectively express the magnitude.

Sorry for this rant but I see absolutely no reasonable response or justification for treating customers this way and believe VZW should be legally held accountable for this behavior.

Not "needy selfish little perspective", just :mad: and I believe rightfully so.

Upvote 0
I just called HTC to complain. I got the same "Gingerbread will be out soon" schpeal, but in a very sympathetic way. He said the reason Gingerbread got delayed is because the last update (that caused the rebooting) broke more things than it fixed. So they have to undo what they did, then they can send out the new stuff. He said there was a maintenance update coming out, then Gingerbread would come out.

The rep did say the more people that call and complain, the faster they will get the updates out. So, people, call HTC and share your complaints...the battery life, the terrible gps, the rebooting...all of it! If everyone calls, maybe they'll get moving! Also, the survey on the HTC site apparently goes quite high on the food chain, so that would be helpful too.

Its something to do and it won't hurt. :) :p :eek:

Went to HTC website and could not find the "Survey" anywhere!?!
Can you post a link to it?

Upvote 0
C.O., while I agree with some of what you say, I completely disagree with your first sentence. Some people may be that way. However, when we pay top dollar for a FLAGSHIP phone (that starts off working relatively well) - then VZW & HTC push an "update" that causes random reboots in the middle of calls, while in the middle of retrieving messages, while in the middle of typing emails and/or SMS messages, and even worse is not a full reboot

Hey no offense taken man. I appreciate your perspective on this and really, there's no way i could ever disagree with you on this.

Maybe it's just my experience working in customer service, but i'm willing to give htc a little slack because unless there's a source inside htc that leaks information saying "we don't care about our customers and aren't even trying to put out updates/support", i'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. I can't tell you how many times i've gone out of my way and even worked unpaid overtime to help take care of customer's issues only to have them come back the next day and literally say word for word "you don't give a shit about my issues do you" just because the extra time i spent trying to help resolve their problem didn't yield the result they wanted. So as far as talking about "consumers selfish and needy perspective", yes. I'll stand by that all the way. But understand i'm not talking about everybody. You guys dealing with reboots and gps issues have a legitimate beef with them, you just need to settle on a course of action.

You hit the nail on the head with one thing: vzw and htc screwed the pooch on this entire ridiculous process. I think we'd all be willing to cut them a little extra slack if at the very least they were honest and open with what was going on with this. If htc straight up told you "we worked our asses off to have the update ready by the 30th, but there are bugs that make your phone drop signal like crazy and the reboot issue isn't completely fixed. If we push it out, it might do more harm than good. So give us a little more time to figure it out and understand, we are working on it. Sorry for putting you through the wait", things would be different. But promising q2 and remaining silent when the deadline passed is unacceptable.

And the reboot issue...last i heard (about 3 weeks ago) they couldn't even figure out why the reboot issue was happening. But i'd speculate by now they probably have a fix but for whatever reason (vzw's BS update approval process) they don't want to simply give you an update for the reboots and another for gingerbread, so they're bundling it into one massive update of awesomeness thinking it'll be easier for everybody. What they don't realize is the reboot issue isn't something alot of people can just overlook: it's a dealbreaker. So the longer it goes unfixed, the more people might just jump to another phone and vow to never buy htc again. This is where we get into the politics of doing business and i can't tell you enough how some of the smartest people can make the dumbest anti-consumer decisions. But then again, i'm speculating. They might not even have a fix and they're next update could make all our phones self destruct for all i know.

What i've seen that frusterates me? The more people experience something they don't like that goes unfixed, the more they speculate and turn that speculation into truth in their own minds. The answer could very well be that htc is working hard on it, but since htc won't make any statements, people assume shit. Crazy shit. When someone's phone reboots while they're texting that hot girl, they'll sit there and blame htc like it's a single person and turn them into an enemy. "Freaking htc doesn't give a damn and won't even update their freaking phone. Horrible customer support blahbitty blah blah".

I had the reboot problem for a few days and then it just disappeared. Besides that, my gps takes 5 minutes to lock so i'm waiting on this update just like you guys. But having a problem and being stressed out about it is like having 2 problems. So i've made the decision i'll either be fed up enough to exchange/sell the phone or i'll accept the issues until i get an update. The more time i spend worrying about it the more negative i get and i don't feel like going on a tirade against a company because my phone has a couple bugs. Besides....stress makes your penis shrink and my black girlfriend expects the best

TL;DR HTC's main screwup was lack of communication that perpetuated angry speculation. VZW's was not bending over backwards to give us a credit or at least releasing a statement saying "my bad"

Upvote 0
And the reboot issue...last i heard (about 3 weeks ago) they couldn't even figure out why the reboot issue was happening. But i'd speculate by now they probably have a fix but for whatever reason (vzw's BS update approval process) they don't want to simply give you an update for the reboots and another for gingerbread, so they're bundling it into one massive update of awesomeness thinking it'll be easier for everybody. What they don't realize is the reboot issue isn't something alot of people can just overlook: it's a dealbreaker. So the longer it goes unfixed, the more people might just jump to another phone and vow to never buy htc again. This is where we get into the politics of doing business and i can't tell you enough how some of the smartest people can make the dumbest anti-consumer decisions. But then again, i'm speculating. They might not even have a fix and they're next update could make all our phones self destruct for all i know.

What i've seen that frusterates me? The more people experience something they don't like that goes unfixed, the more they speculate and turn that speculation into truth in their own minds. The answer could very well be that htc is working hard on it, but since htc won't make any statements, people assume

TL;DR HTC's main screwup was lack of communication that perpetuated angry speculation. VZW's was not bending over backwards to give us a credit or at least releasing a statement saying "my bad"
I agree with much of your post. While I am NOT willing to outrageously speculate, I do have a "guess'. I have seen many posts of people who have rooted and dumped lots of bloatware. they have the last update with no reboot issues. So I DO guess it has something to do with the bloat and THAT is $$ to SOMEONE. Cutting THAT out to fix...

gotta run for now.

Upvote 0
Blaming VZW is funny. They don't manufacture the phone. HTC continues to put out phones with horrid battery life and equally terrible software. VZW will test a phone inside and out, and if it is deemed acceptable, they will allow it to be sold. Still falls on HTC to find fixes for their mistakes, and so far they have yet to grasp a solid build for most of their lineup, service provider be damned.

Upvote 0
Really? I must say I love this phone by far my favorite device to date. It's only rebooted once on me in the 3 weeks I've owned it .. I couldn't care less about gingerbread but HOLY SHIT!!!! the battery life on this thing is outrageous !! Just ordered a wall charger and extended battery from Siedio..(not sure if I spelled that right) otherwise friggen love this phone and I'm rocking the otterbox defender case
i hope you realize that GB isnt going to fix your battery and give you 3-4 hours more. what you get now for battery is going to be about the same with GB.

Upvote 0
Mine totally random. I work from home and the phone sits next to me. today rebooted 3x in an hour. Other days 1x/day, other days doesn't reboot at all.

Random reboots are somehow partial, Appears to fully reboot but no thunder sound and emails and some notifications do not come thru until I manually "restart". If happens in my pocket, only way to KNOW it happened is to pull down the notifications bar and if my apps are all gone - it rebooted. TOTAL PITA!!

When it happens DURING CALLS, or DURING email writing/SMS writing, or listening to messages... steam comes out my ears!!

Upvote 0
Everyone calling and complaining. This is what messed up the TB in the first place. VZ tried to delay it and get out all the kinks but people like myself were so eager and excited that they had to throw it out to us early just to shut us up. Now were stuck with some issues they are trying to fix but we want to rush them still? Not good imo. After having a blackberry storm. I now know it's best to just be patient. Otherwise your set for a let down.

Upvote 0
When I suggested to call and complain, I didn't mean to imply call and yell and scream. I called to let them know what I thought. I told the rep that I really wanted to love this phone, but that there were a lot of things wrong with it. The rep was very sympathetic and agreed with many of my complaints. The rep is the one who suggested to have more people call and complain (nicely!). He said that was the only way the higher-ups would get the message.

To complain about a product does not mean you have to be a jerk about it. Voicing our opinion to the company is a way to let them know we want changes made. If you're not having problems, that's great. But there is nothing wrong with respectfully letting the company know how you feel about their product.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones