1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Call log dissapearing!

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Kharl, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2013
    or it is a malware or a very bad developed buggy app (nut uncommon since now a day everybody is allowed to create an app)

previously i had a problem with this phone, where the call log disappeared... i was able to live with it. annoying but.. well.. following that problem, two days later, then the memory of the phone was "full"...

and IT WA S NOT FULL because i had 200mb free for apps and i did not change ANYTHING

i factory reset the phone
    carefully installing app by app and not all the apps, if i need to use that app, THEN i install THAT app, in order to isolate the problem...

TODAY th phone started missign the call log

i receive a call and i am going to check the number and there is only 30 calls in the call log calls from April 11 to April 5.
    what is going on?

for me, there is an APP that is screwing up the call log, o r messing the phone

Advertisement

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi

A factory data reset deletes the call log, so, unless you have it backed up using the "backup my data" feature in the phone settings, or via a third party app, it will be lost.

These days, Android normally reports insufficient space when trying to install with only 200mb of storage left. A few years ago, this would have been OK but now, due to the increased size of many apps, its not enough and triggers the message. Unfortunately, the older phones just don't have enough storage to cope with the size of current apps.

3. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Hi!
    thanks for your answer

ok there is something you are not catching here

Call log are not fully appearing.. sometimes the call log is complete, sometimes its not (with complete i mean.. ALL the calls i have mad e/received/missed, with incomplete i means it only appears calls from 2 o 3 three months ago and not the recent or viceversa).
    i backed up the call log (all was backed so its clearly a problem of DISPLAYING THE LOG), then i DID the factory reset and then i restore the call logs back again... all logs were there.. but after couple of days the problem of partial call log appeared.. got it?

regarding the insufficient space...
    i don't know how to explain you this... you explain this situation like if i would have received an update than suddenly my
    200mb free.. after the update, the phone is now ordered to show there is not sufficient space... but.. well... NO!

its the same 200mb i have had free for a year or more.., in THIS the low space alarm triggers when 74mb.
    what you explain due the increase size of apps... thats perfectly understandable... if you try to install an app of more than 200mb in a phone that has 200mb its obviously you are going to get a message talking about insufficient space... THIS is not the case, i am not install anything..
    did you read carefully my scenario?
    a very resumed version.. with rounded numbers

I have 700mb free for apps (internal memory)
    i have 120 apps that make 500mb in apps right?
    THERE IS 200mb free... more than a year with that amount and verebody happy!

then suddenly the free memory OF 200mb then DROP TO 30MB!
    BUT when you do the calc with the apps, THERE IS 120apps making 500mb!
    got it?

4. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi again

Re the memory - my older phones will now not let me install anything when they have only 200mb free. They used to work with much less than that free. I think it is google play services which defines how much is needed and this gets updated quite regularly.

It may be that you have some hidden index files being created which you could delete. Have a look at this old thread http://androidforums.com/threads/dcim-thumbdata3-1967290299.801052/ for an example of this.

Re the call log: Is it a samsung phone? If so, there are some reports that the missing logs may show if its held in Landscape mode! They suggest it is a display problem with some Samsung devices.

5. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Thank you for your time girolez!
    i could understand the Google play service rule... but the message comes from the phone not from google play (i know that google would be way happier to force us to that, since that's the only key they have to make phone opbsoletes,todays phones are so powerful and capable than the only way they have to make them obsolete is making oversized UNJUSTIFIED BIG apps! [no way to justify a 20mb for a notepad app or an office suite of about 300mb when office 2033 for pc weight about 384mb and NO WAY is near full feature like the pc version is...]) but thats other subject... lol
    what you mention about the hidden index is what i suspect... anything.. but something hidden that is not appearing in the count

its a NEC Terrain, but i tried to rotate the screen and no luck, the same.