1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

call me old fashioned, but i like basic and bulky

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by nickdalzell, Aug 12, 2012.

1. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert

i see a lot of criticisms of certain Android phones that don't dazzle, have tons of LED lights that blink (think notification/camera flash/flashlight) and don't cost well over $599 each. this includes entry-level smartphones such as my new ZTE Merit, or the VM LG Optimus V, which have low-spec processors and are regarded as 'boring' and 'bland' by many.

but call me old fashioned but that is exactly the kind of phone i want. anyone else share my view? i prefer a phone to have some weight to it, which signifies its durability, and i like it to be one color. as in monolithic and seemingly dead, and only showing its true nature when the screen is woke up. seemingly lifeless while asleep giving that sense of nothing, but neat and attention grabbing when turned on. i like basic black. especially if it bears the matte rubbery grip to it that resists scratches. specs don't matter too much to me when i am using a device with too small a screen to play CPU intensive games such as Angry Birds or Pinball Arcade (after all, that is where large tablets come in, right?). i am unsure what really makes them bland, boring or if it's just the generation i'm in, being the old guy with a new Android. instead of the teen or young adult with the fancy HTC Inspire (or whatever they call them now). call me old fashioned, but i like basic, bland, boring. it's still Android, and still works.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. nieltab

nieltab Android Enthusiast

I agree about the weight and black part. I added a hard case to my galaxy s advance to add some weight and it is also totally black now ;) without the case it feels so fragile, like holding a feather.

3. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

A lot of people want the latest and greatest with Android and that's fine. For me, my Galaxy Nexus is great for screen size and weight. It may not be the most durable phone out there but I'm careful with it.
    The great thing about Android is choice! You can have a small phone, one with a keyboard, one that you can dunk in motor oil, one that's nearly tablet size.

ReDDs3D likes this.
  4. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

What bugs me the most is that reviewers criticise heavy phones a too heavy, but then turn around an complain that light phones feel cheap.

5. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

I agree, except for likening heavier phones to robustness.

Dropped my galaxy note a few times and it seems like the lightness of it and the plastic reduce the impact shock.

6. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert

i work a job that requires a lot of situations where the lightest cheapest little phones literally fall apart. my old Optimus V took tons of beatings, coming out with only mere hairline scratches on the screen. my Moto W408G, on the other hand, well it's not pretty. works still but ugly and worn out in only a couple of weeks. but it does help when you can feel the phone in your pocket. i have some old horror stories of finding out the hard way about a light phone in the back pocket when i fall flat on my hind quarters...

I suppose for me it's just a reminder of the one other phone i used to know and love, my robust Nokia 5110, so i've grown accustomed to heavier and cheaper (to replace) Androids.