• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Call quality on other end.

milrtime83

Android Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2009
My brother got a Droid and just gave me a call. He was cutting in and out a lot more than he should have been. It seems like if he wasn't holding the mic really close to his mouth it would sound muffled and cut out. He switched the Droid over to speakerphone and it sounded fine. When he turned speakerphone back off it went back to being muffled and cutting out. Both of our signals were fine, it seemed more like an issue of the microphone picking up his voice when it wasn't in the perfect position.

Has anyone else noticed this at all?

I dont know if its a hardware problem or not, but many things can factor into call quality, he was driving around town so that could cause it, and if he was driving he's most likely looking around, so turning his head and mouth away from the mic. Just like if you and I were talkin face to face and look away to talk to you, you hear me very differently. There's many times I have to tell my gf to put her mouth by the mic cause she's always off doin somethin. Im just hoping this isnt a hardware issue.

Upvote 0
He wasn't driving around, he was at his house. He tried holding it in a couple different positions and it seemed like if it wasn't just right, the mic wouldn't pick up his voice. For example pulling the mic away from his face or down just a bit caused the problem.

It was only one call, so it will take more time to see if it consistently happens. Also, I would say it seemed more like a software issue and not hardware because on speakerphone the mic would pick up his voice just fine from a couple feet away. It only occurred when the phone was in non speakerphone (does that have a specific name?)

Upvote 0
I am having the exact same problem. I can hear everything fine on my end but the person I am talking to can barely understand me.

Speakerphone or a headset work fine, but I sound like im in a tunnel or you can't even make out the words when I am just using the phone without using these methods. (I swapped phones with my wife to hear what I was sounding like when she was complaining that she couldn't hear me.)

I am planning to go into Verizon tomorrow to see what I can do about it.

Upvote 0
I am having the exact same problem. I can hear everything fine on my end but the person I am talking to can barely understand me.

Speakerphone or a headset work fine, but I sound like im in a tunnel or you can't even make out the words when I am just using the phone without using these methods. (I swapped phones with my wife to hear what I was sounding like when she was complaining that she couldn't hear me.)

I am planning to go into Verizon tomorrow to see what I can do about it.

I was having a very similar problem (echo on the other end) with everyone I spoke to. Called Verizon and they immediately said it was a bad microphone. Went yesterday and switched out the unit and the new one works great.

Upvote 0
I have been having the same echo issue as others have detailed in this thread. Every call I made today had the same echo issue on the other end. Then I turned the speakerphone on mid-call and the echo went away. Then turned the speakerphone off during the same call and the echo did not return. Made several other calls with no echo so hopefully it won't come back.........

Upvote 0
Same echo issue here, really effen annoying to upgrade a phone and downgrade call quality.

It's definitely an issue. Included link below from Motorola forum. Sounds like if you reboot the device it works for a little while. Also, if you turn on speakerphone and turn it back off, that seems to work for people, which is ridiculous to have to do for a brand new $550 phone.

I'm wondering if I need to return phone #2 or if EVERYBODY is having this issue. From this thread, it sounds like there are some with no problems.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16215?start=0&tstart=0

Upvote 0
i've experienced garbled/poor quality sound on my end and people on the other end have complained of an echo or generally poor sound quality compared to the BB curve on Tmo that I just replaced with this Droid.

Will Verizon issue an extension to the 30 day return policy? If not, it seems stupid to keep it and hope for a fix on Dec 11. I am certainly not willing to gamble $300 and a 2 year contract on a hope that it's fixed.

Upvote 0
i actually had this exact same problem and considered returning it for a new droid but i decided to do some further investigation and at least in my situation it has to do with how you hold the phone, for me its muffled and cuts out for the person on the other end unless i hold the bottom part of the droid very close to my face, you should give it a try if you are having issues with the reception on the other end, it could just be how your holding it, now that i know how to hold the phone i've had zero complaints

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem as many of you. My wife and I both got Droids about a week ago. I can hear her fine on her Droid but she and everyone else I talk to on the Droid says I sound muffled. I love the phone otherwise and don't want to change it out. I am encouraged that I am not the only one having problems and that it looks like it can be fixed. I will be going to the Verizon store next week to see if I can get it fixed. The only other thing that is a bit of a nuisance is that when I want to hang up after a call, the phone doesn't light up all the time until I tip it back and forth a few times. Maybe they will just swap the phone out.

PS - I had tried all different positions with the phone but none helped.

Upvote 0
i actually had this exact same problem and considered returning it for a new droid but i decided to do some further investigation and at least in my situation it has to do with how you hold the phone, for me its muffled and cuts out for the person on the other end unless i hold the bottom part of the droid very close to my face, you should give it a try if you are having issues with the reception on the other end, it could just be how your holding it, now that i know how to hold the phone i've had zero complaints

Ditto!

Upvote 0
I had and echo on the other end where the calling party heard themselves echoing. I replaced the phone and it seemed to work for about a day then it started echoing again. I called tech support and they did all kinds of test and reset my line (whatever that means). I'm still having problems with it. the December 11th update is supposed to address this issue. lets hope it does. until then, toggling the speakerphone seems to fix the call but you have to do it everytime.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones