• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help call recording on incredible

timp123

May 25, 2010
Has anyone had luck with a call recording app on the Incredible? For example, AllCallRecorder, Call Record, or vRecorder. It seems that call recording capability varies with individual models. I am considering switching from the Droid to the Incredible (Motorola disabled recording entirely), but I need to know if there is an app that will work.

vRecoder works for me BUT, you may have to amplify the audio files later. I CAN hear both sides but they are lite AND there is a reverb (echo) on the incoming. However, it's a lot easier than holding a recorder up to my phone when the ex calls which I do now. I'm trying to launch TotalRecall but it's stuck in the "registering screen". If anyone has any luck with another app on the Incredible please share.

Upvote 0
Fail! Google voice tells the other party that recording has starting.
I think that is a legality issue. From what I understand, both parties must know a phone call is being recorded (atleast in California). Basically, you need consent from the other person, which is why call centers let you know the call may be recorded for ______ purposes.

Upvote 0
Google voice can only record incoming calls, and is unreliable at best. Many times I keep pushing 4 on an incoming call, with no results.
I just switched from the Droid to the Incredible, and smcook mentioned, vRecord does seem to work albeit with very low volume on the incoming party. It seems that it only records through the microphone, because putting the call on speakerphone does help.

If anybody finds or writes an app that works, please let me know...I would pay generously for it. I really miss my old Palm...call recording was flawless on it.

Upvote 0
The other thing about Google Voice I don't like is it announces to the conversation that it's now being recorded.

I believe the reason Android Apps record the incoming soundstream through the microphone is because the OS's resource protection prevents software from accessing that directly and thus the only way to record is to use the microphone. I hope in 2.2 they open that up, or perhaps someone writes a rooted version of recording software. However, I can survive with vRecorder. I purchased a $150 portable sound recorder for my phone calls with my old phone, I had to hold it up to the speaker while I talked and vRecorder is comparable. So at least I don't have to carry that around anymore. My problem with vRecorder is the email function doesn't work for me. Some of the recordings in the list don't say who the call was from and after rebooting my phone once and missing a call I now have to launch vRecorder each time I reboot my phone. Not sure if it's a coincidence or fluke but I'm not willing to find out and miss that incriminating call on tape.

Upvote 0
The other thing about Google Voice I don't like is it announces to the conversation that it's now being recorded.
They don't have a choice. Read what I posted earlier. The person being recorded must know they are being recorded (in certain states, not sure if this applies to all) otherwise, recording them without their consent is illegal.

Upvote 0
It's actually in MOST states that its' not legally required. And Google dose have a choice because ultimately the legal ramifications fall on the PERSON not the SERVICE that did the recording. Otherwise that would be like Ford, which in turn would be the executives of, being jailed because someone leasing a ford car willfully crashed it into their ex girlfriend. It's not the service providers fault or liability. Or for that matter, the maker of my portable recorder being sued because I used it to tape a phone call. It doesn't work that way, even if I did it in a state where recording is strictly forbidden.

Upvote 0
It's actually in MOST states that its' not legally required. And Google dose have a choice because ultimately the legal ramifications fall on the PERSON not the SERVICE that did the recording. Otherwise that would be like Ford, which in turn would be the executives of, being jailed because someone leasing a ford car willfully crashed it into their ex girlfriend. It's not the service providers fault or liability. Or for that matter, the maker of my portable recorder being sued because I used it to tape a phone call. It doesn't work that way, even if I did it in a state where recording is strictly forbidden.
Doesn't matter if its most or less, I never said either. And if I remember correctly, aren't you recording THRU Google's services? Thus, USING Google as an accomplice in the recording? Could possibly mean, that since you are using that service on their servers which are located in California, that they must abide by those laws. Not to mention that they would probably catch some slack if someone decided to find some type of loophole in filing litigation against them (especially with all the criticism they've received with privacy issues). Not only that, but do you really expect Google to check and see where someone lives to make sure that state doesn't have the law or not? Believe what you want, but I'm just saying it as it is. It won't change, and Google will continue to keep giving people the right to know they're being recorded.

Upvote 0
i don't there's a legality about the service but more about the how/when its used, it should be offered and/or allowing the capability for the phone to record, HOW or WHEN an individual uses it is when the legalities come into play.

Many businesses even phone companies customer services announce " THIS CALL WILL BE RECORDER "

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones