• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Call Rejection Hang ups!

ferox can i just ask

does this happen when someone else other than you is holding it?

strange thing i know but a mate of mine has problems with random electrical equipment. something to do with a higher than normal electrical charge and magnetic behavior in his body that causes problems.

quite often hell have phones that will die every 3-4 months in ways that cannot be explained. he cannot wear battery operated watches.

you might have this but at a much lower level but because of the crap shielding on the galaxy its affecting this phone.

like i said its weird but it can happen

Upvote 0
ferox can i just ask

does this happen when someone else other than you is holding it?

strange thing i know but a mate of mine has problems with random electrical equipment. something to do with a higher than normal electrical charge and magnetic behavior in his body that causes problems.

quite often hell have phones that will die every 3-4 months in ways that cannot be explained. he cannot wear battery operated watches.

you might have this but at a much lower level but because of the crap shielding on the galaxy its affecting this phone.

like i said its weird but it can happen

It's funny that you have mentioned this because i had been thinking that perhaps heat or perhaps static energy was the cause though i wouldn't know where to start in proving or disproving this theory other than how you've suggested will get the wife to test it tonight! I haven't been aware of any other freaky events while using other electrical devices and i am a bit of a gadget junkie! Perhaps you could give your mate a shot of your Galaxy see if he can get it to behave this way! I should add that the phone has been behaving alot better with less rejections than before but still intermmitently misbehaves i put this down to how i am holding the device as sometimes i can get it to reject 100% of calls!

Upvote 0
If you connect the phone to your computer, you can use logcat to see if there were any erroneous button presses causing the hang up.

I have logcat.apk on phone though really need results decifered!

Spoke too early when posting that things seemed to have improved its back to its rejecting!

One thing ive been meaning to mention is that the courier who i am becoming quite familiar with is adamant that the returns get re stickered boxed and shipped out to the next unsuspecting customer! I am sceptical that this could be the case.

Upvote 0
I still blame (at least my) random hangups on faulty shielding, because I keep getting a lot of events on the right side buttons (HOLD up mostly, and sometimes camera and Call end) when my phone is boosting signal (like when it does some idle chatter or swaps band) , which I have tried to test by having my phone plugged into usb debug mode when idling at my desktop.

I live in a house with thick walls and therefore I have lots of network switching due to different antennaes, and on the switches that I hear in my speakers, the screen lights up and "adb logcat" will light up with a bunch of events on HOLD up/down, scancode 212 and scancode 107, which are the hold key, camera button and end call - keys respectively.

This has to be a shielding issue...

Upvote 0
I have logcat.apk on phone though really need results decifered!

Spoke too early when posting that things seemed to have improved its back to its rejecting!

One thing ive been meaning to mention is that the courier who i am becoming quite familiar with is adamant that the returns get re stickered boxed and shipped out to the next unsuspecting customer! I am sceptical that this could be the case.
they get reconditioned or checked for faults and shipped out but they will only be used for replacement devices or sold at a cheaper price as a reconditioned unit. they cannot sell them as new as its illegal

all mobile operators do this

Upvote 0
o
they get reconditioned or checked for faults and shipped out but they will only be used for replacement devices or sold at a cheaper price as a reconditioned unit. they cannot sell them as new as its illegal

all mobile operators do this

So does that mean i may be getting replacement handsets that have already been returned as faulty? I have inspected all of them carefully for any signs that they were preowned all were immaculate!

Upvote 0
Yes i am indeed on I4 though with the first handset H6 i visited I5 and reverted back to one of the official O2 H firmwares so as to get on official track using NPS! This 3rd unit plus the previous one both came with I4! If it were I4 problem surely more people would have came across the problem or beable to simulate to test it out! All handsets had exactly the same problem!

Just for clarification I'm using a comination of Galaxo I5 with the the radio firmware from I4 and touch wood I'm not having issues any more.

Upvote 0
Omg Ferox you're a X-Men! You're body is spewing electrical energy!!

It most definatly sounds like a shielding issue after reading the recent posts on here.

I would suggest you switch to 3G and try to reproduce the issue. UMTS doesnt have the same burst transmission that has harmonics in the Hz range. The higher frequencies should confuse the amplifier thats detecting the presses.

You should also try the same with GSM when you have max signal.

That will tell you right away if its shielding or not.

Upvote 0
How have you voided your waranty?!

You can always use Odin to flash back to the CSC you had. Nearly all CSC's are available now.

I wouldnt recommend opening the phone to correct the shielding if I were you. You'll probably destroy your phone!

Parallell importing from another country usually messes things up.
OK, I'll leave the tihing alone for nor and will try to talk to the local samsung support first if they are willing to take it on...

Upvote 0
As some have suggested my problems do appear to be a shielding issue as I now notice that in 2g mode the phone can indeed reject 100% of calls when held in a certain position also when in 3g mode the phone seems quite stable until it switches and drops of 3g it then hangs almost immediately! Anyone know of a solution or should this handset be returned?

Upvote 0
Shielding issues can only be fixed for good by using an electromagnetic shield as its name suggests. This involves opening the phone up and changing the cable. This option is out of the question for you.

A workaround would be to stay in 3G all of the time if it's available to you.

If the above workaround isn't open to you, the last is to just return it. I doubt Samsung will fix this if it's just a minority complaining about it.

Upvote 0
Shielding issues can only be fixed for good by using an electromagnetic shield as its name suggests. This involves opening the phone up and changing the cable. This option is out of the question for you.

A workaround would be to stay in 3G all of the time if it's available to you.

If the above workaround isn't open to you, the last is to just return it. I doubt Samsung will fix this if it's just a minority complaining about it.

I am correct in thinking that there's no way to lock the phone in 3g mode right?

Is there any reason my phone should perform differently from yours other than inferior components? Should i forget about owning the Galaxy?

Upvote 0
I have this problem too, I haven't narrowed down what causes it, I'm on Modaco II5 ROM but the original II4 O2 ROM had the same problems.

How long ago did you get your handset? I have had 3 handsets in the last fortnight the 4th will arrive tomorrow all had this problem can it be a bad batch? You would think it would be flagged at O2 by this point and they would hold that batches !

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones