• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Called party cannot hear me very well...

Sony Xperia Z2, recently acquired second-hand, with Android 6.0.1 installed.
Call recipients complain of great difficulty in hearing my call.
Starting in Safe Mode does not make any difference. Microphone 'holes' seem clear of obstruction. Microphone noise suppression on or off makes no difference.

Ideas, anyone, please?

Thanks. lvt, that was a brilliant suggestion. The recording I did was indeed very faint, and proves, to my mind at least, that there is a fault with the phone.
I had called a couple of people, then done some trials at home and confirmed the problem.
Do you have any idea as to what could be wrong? Sounds as if it could be expensive!?
I was aware when I bought it that the back kept coming off, but until I received it I didn't realise that they were originally 'permanently' attached, as all my previous phones had removable backs for battery replacement and sim card insertion etc. I can only conclude that someone has tried to work on it before.

Upvote 0
Diagnostics confirm there is a problem with the microphone. I'm reasonably competent with electronics and am wondering if I can do the repair myself.There are lots for sale on ebay in the uk, all at varying prices. How to choose, apart from assuming when brand says Sony it is genuine, but how to know it will be OK??!! I see there is info on the web, but would you recommend doing it myself, and if so are there any pitfalls I should be aware of, please?

Upvote 0
Before sending away for repair, I repeated the microphone test and found I could hear it but faintly. I then made another outgoing call, speaking this time directly into the microphone itself, and it heard OK. Thereafter, it appears to be functioning normally now, holding the phone as normal!!
Some sort of blockage in the port, which was not visible??
Anyway, I've saved some money here, but spent around 2 hours on it!
Thanks for your time and interest, and sorry to have wasted your time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones