• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Calling All Grammar Nazi's

davoid

Android Expert
Aug 3, 2011
London
OK. Firstly I like to say that although I would never pick someone up on their grammar or spelling in a thread dedicated to another topic, I am, at heart, a pedantic for grammar. I love it. And so I thought I would create this thread where people could panda (go on, I know you want to) to their urges to point out poor grammar.

By the way, pedantic that I am, picking someone up on their spelling doesn't make you a grammar nazi and that's just one of my grammar nazi hates. When someone calls someone a grammar nazi because they pointed out bad spelling. Gosh how pedantic can I get?

But sometimes (as in my panda example) it's not a spelling mistake but an incorrect lexical choice which changes the meaning or undermines the sense of the utterance, i.e. you can't panda to urges because panda is not a verb... In my eyes, this is all fair game.

Anyway, I just thought it would be good to have a space where people could pander to their grammatical pedantry and display their stormtrooping prowess in the safety of not hurting anyone's feelings.

For instance, if I get called out for any grammatical error in this thread, I will take off my hat to you. I like to learn, and that includes being corrected. :)

As I see it, this will be a place to bring your pet hate grammatical mistakes to share and have a bit of fun. And we will all learn something in the process, I am sure.

We can even... debate the grammar! :eek:

And if you don't like it... I could care less

(there's one of mine right there ;) it should be "I couldn't care less" because if you could, that might mean you actually care quite a lot... it's a semantic error but again, fair game for our purposes ;))

So come on, what's your pet hate grammatical mistake?

"The data shows/says/is etc".

The word "data" is plural. If you really only have a single datum then use that word instead ;)

Which brings me onto "we should try different mediums to maximize our coverage".

The word "media" is the plural of medium... unless they are talking about coverage of the astral plane, in which case, yes, mediums would be of better service.

Upvote 0
"Pendant that I am", shirley

:D

Actually "pedantic" is listed in the OED as a noun, meaning someone who is a pedant... albeit as an obsolete form. (I've been reading a lot of old literature in the last few years, I guess) :eek:

lol it was last recorded in use in 1658 and spelt with a k at the end - pedanticks... (that's the plural)

Upvote 0
Actually "pedantic" is listed in the OED as a noun, meaning someone who is a pedant... albeit as an obsolete form. (I've been reading a lot of old literature in the last few years, I guess) :eek:

lol it was last recorded in use in 1658 and spelt with a k at the end - pedanticks... (that's the plural)

So not just obsolete grammer: MISSPELLED obsolete grammer :D

Upvote 0
From what I can find, forums is the plural of forum.

Androidfora just sounds very wrong.

I suppose fora is the correct plural form of forum. But then "Android Forums" is what we all know. :D

Fortunately I teach English at school, and NOT Latin. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Well I've just checked the bulky "Oxford Advanced Learner's English-Chinese Dictionary" I've got on the desk here, and it seems both forums and fora are OK.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
English grammar, like spelling, syntax and word definitions, changes over time. At every stage of these changes resistance is there, most often spoken by the older generation of the time, but not always. ;)

Just take a look at English literature, American or true English. Read old newspapers and public announcements as well as prose, etc. Compare to our "proper" grammar and spelling.

Whether it evolves or degenerates over time is up to each of us to decide. I pick "evolve" because the dictionaries are growing, not shrinking. I also pick evolve because descriptive terms are not what it's all about (for example, most words with the suffix "ful" or "full" were coined/invented by poets centuries ago, notably Shakespeare, but others got in on the act <--- pun intended :D); it's also about grammar rules as well as cultural mingling and sharing (words and phrases in strict English being replaced by Spanish, French and German grammar words and even verb conjugation in hundreds of cases).

...etc. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones