1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root calling scotty, how do i go s-on?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fixxxer1022, May 1, 2012.

1. fixxxer1022

fixxxer1022 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Male
    #
    west mi
    i want to go back to full factory s-on with it reading "locked" not "relocked". how can i do this? i unlocked via htc dev and then did the s-off trick, im on gb firmware and never ran the ics leak. after s-off i did install the hboot con posted on xda though.

Advertisement

2. howardz2

howardz2 Member
    None

Apr 17, 2012
    Until Scotty comes around, I'll give you my two cents.

I have read somewhere (can't recall where) that one needs to be on the stock hboot before turning S-OFF to be S-ON, otherwise you'll have a BRICK. Is it true? I don't know.

So, first, I'd put on the stock hboot. Personally I have S-OFF but put back the stock hboot because I don't even want this bricking possibility to occur by accident in the future. I'll put the ENG (for GB) hboot back on if someday there is some ROM install or DEV trick which requires the ENG hboot.

The S-ON to S-OFF process magically changed us from UNLOCKED to LOCKED, and those who unlocked and then relocked display RELOCKED. Nobody knows how to turn it from RELOCKED to LOCKED. The jBear developers said "It's not easy to do", which means it is possible but they don't want to bother with making a program to do it.

Second, I'd try doing an RRU exe file (get appropriate exe file for your stock version) and see if it changes from RELOCKED to LOCKED. Maybe it will. Probably it won't. Worth a try.

Third, there are a few fastboot commands posted to turn S-ON to S-OFF.
    However the commands will not change RELOCKED to LOCKED.

So, you might be stuck with RELOCKED.

If you end up with RELOCKED, then I'd try the following:
    1. double check that you are on the stock hboot
    2. turn S-OFF to S-ON
    3. completely repeat the jBear process to achieve S-OFF, and take their ENG hboot (for GB). This took me approximately 8 hours to do.
    4. check if you are not displaying "UNLOCKED", "LOCKED", or "RELOCKED".

Achieving jBear's S-OFF took me two evenings of four hours each. I personally would not do it again to just change the display from "RELOCKED" to "LOCKED", plus I am not certain it will do it.

regards,
    Howard

3. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010

Why do you want to.do this? Some comments on the above post later(I'm.at work/driving)

chknhwk likes this.
  4. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    if the answer to "why do you want to s-on" is anything other than "my phone is broken,i have a replacement and need to send this one in to vzw" then plain and simple do not s-on there are absolutely no benefits to it whatsoever. :argh:

if you do need to warranty your phone,the directions are here: [HOW TO]get back to s on from juopunutbear s-off - xda-developers

in the next few days i hope to bring that,along with a s-off FAQ and guide here to AF. just havent had a chance to yet

chknhwk likes this.
  5. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    QUOTE=howardz2;4316077
    Until Scotty comes around, I'll give you my two cents.

I have read somewhere (can't recall where) that one needs to be on the stock hboot before turning S-OFF to be S-ON, otherwise you'll have a BRICK. Is it true? I don't know.
    yes,this is true.

these newer phones are doing a complex assortment of checks,not the least of wich is for a signed hboot and radio. with s-off,the checks are stopped. this is how we are able to roll back our firmware and change things like radios and bootloaders that are not signed by htc. if the secure flag is turned on while one of the patched hboots,wich are NOT signed by htc,is on the phone,whatever is doing these checks(the radio or a secondary bootloader) immeidately puts the phone into a "do not boot" mode. i.e, "brick mode" for put it simply. only the good folks at htc can get it working again with special equipment. (unless the sensation unbrick tool works,but thats a whole nother post)

it is pretty strongly theorized that the eng hboot will cause a brick as well. while it is a signed by htc hboot,it is signed with the "debug" or "engineering" key,not the "release" key. while there is a slim chance the phone would accept this hboot,the most likely result of turning s on with it is a brick,as it does not have the correct signiture

So, first, I'd put on the stock hboot. Personally I have S-OFF but put back the stock hboot because I don't even want this bricking possibility to occur by accident in the future. I'll put the ENG (for GB) hboot back on if someday there is some ROM install or DEV trick which requires the ENG hboot.
    the patched hboots are extremely safe,you defiantely do not need to worry about running them. they are stock hboots,with the more commonly used "eng commands" built in. since they are newer and designed to work with the particular firmwares,they are thot to be a safer option to run permanently than the old eng hboot,wich may have some bugs and/or incompatiblilty issues(it defiantely does not work with ICS)

ive used patched hboots on many devices,not the least of wich are globatrons patched honeycomb hboot on my flyer,and revolutionarys hboot on my inc 2 and thunderbolt.

the danger i see is folks that are continually,haphazzardly switching them around for no real reason,and are doing so with no md5 sum or any other check. well,that,and turning the secure flag on while youre running one :eek:

rest assured that flashing the JP hboot once,and leaving it in place is a perfectly safe,and good thing to do. fastboot boot is an excellent command to have in your hboot vocabulary,ive see it resurect phones that may have otherwise been softbricked permanently

The S-ON process magically changed us from UNLOCKED to LOCKED, and those who unlocked and then relocked display RELOCKED. Nobody knows how to turn it from RELOCKED to LOCKED. The jBear developers said "It's not easy to do", which means it is possible but they don't want to bother with making a program to do it.
    actually,thats backwards. maybe it was a typo,but the s-off process is what turned the unlocked back into locked

it is true that unlocking after s-off takes away the locked status,just as it did with s-on. so if you need to stay locked for warranty,do not htcdev unlock after s-off. the only way to get back to locked again,is to s-on,then s-off again. otherwise,as howardz2 said,the best you can hope for is relocked

Second, I'd try doing an RRU exe file (get appropriate exe file for your stock version) and see if it changes from RELOCKED to LOCKED. Maybe it will. Probably it won't. Worth a try. it wont. ive messed with this pretty extensively now,and ive not been able to change it. apparetnly the "lock status" has a flag somewhere that needs reset,much like the s-off radio secureflag. once you are locked,unlocked,relocked,etc. you stay that way until it is somehow changed.

Third, there are a few fastboot commands posted to turn S-ON to S-OFF.
    However the commands will not change RELOCKED to LOCKED.

So, you might be stuck with RELOCKED.

If you end up with RELOCKED, then I'd try the following:
    1. double check that you are on the stock hboot
    2. turn S-OFF to S-ON
    3. completely repeat the jBear process to achieve S-OFF, and take their ENG hboot (for GB). This took me approximately 8 hours to do.
    4. check if you are not displaying "UNLOCKED", "LOCKED", or "RELOCKED".

correct. s-on,then back to s-off is the only way i know of currently to be locked again.

Achieving jBear's S-OFF took me two evenings of four hours each. I personally would not do it again to just change the display from "RELOCKED" to "LOCKED", plus I am not certain it will do it.

i would not do it just to change the lock status,either,unless the phone was going to go back for warranty purposes. in this case,i personally would put forth that effort.

i am pretty certain that s-on,then s-off again will get you back to locked,but then,i have been pretty certain about a couple of other things that turned out to be different than i thot as well ;) i personally dont care about my locked status,but eventually ill need to test something that will involve being s-on,no doubt,and at that time ill confirm or deny what happens when i re-s-off :D

chknhwk, howardz2 and jetmdt like this.
  6. fixxxer1022

fixxxer1022 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Male
    #
    west mi
    im sending it in for warranty to verizon. so basically i just run the gb ota and run those commands afterward that you posted on xda, correct? i assume when i run the ruu it will replace cons hboot anyways.

7. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    that is correct. the ruu will put the stock everything back onto the phone.hboot,recovery,radios,etc. :)

chknhwk likes this.
Tags: