1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Calling through Google Voice

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by boteman, Oct 11, 2011.

1. boteman

boteman Well-Known Member
    None

I tried out the Samsung Nexus S 4G on Sprint a few months back and it offered integrated calling through Google Voice as part of their deal with Sprint.

Does the AT&T Galaxy S 2 allow this same feature even through an add-on app? I'd really like to place calls through my GV account so that callers see that number instead of my direct cell number.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. androidismine

androidismine Newbie
    None

Oct 10, 2011
    Yup... it does. You have the option of using GV for all local calls or just international calls as well. It is pretty nifty.

I don't believe that it uses your wifi/4g/3g for the actual call though.... if that's what you are asking.

Not sure about outgoing caller ID. If you see the Caller ID Outgoing setting on the GV webpage, it says that "Note: this setting currently only applies to text messages; calls will be included soon."

3. boteman

boteman Well-Known Member
    None

I thought it would kind of have to use your data connection since that's how Google Talk, Google Voice, and the Obitalk box interface with you via computer.

Are they setting up Leg A from your cell phone to GV via the PSTN?

I see the notation about Caller*ID, but does it always send the GV number or always the originating phone's number?

4. androidismine

androidismine Newbie
    None

Oct 10, 2011
    It seems to me that, for now, only Sprint allows voice over IP in GV. It is on the GV website....

I have noticed that when I send a text, it sends GV as the originating number. When I call, it uses my own cell phone number as the originating number.