• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Calling Wrong Number

dw0095

Oct 19, 2009
Upstate, NY
Since this past weekend, I have been having an issue where if I have a missed call and I see it in the call log, when I select the contact/entry to call them back, it dials a different contact.

I will go back after and check to see if maybe I hit the wrong entry and the person it randomly called is no where near the missed call I tried to call back so definately not pressing the wrong one.

Any ideas?

Wow.. I am surprised you didn't get an answer to this..

Is this mentioned somewhere else in the forum?

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE...

I touch a contact on the call log to call them.. the phone starts the dialing, but when it connects IT IS A DIFFERENT contact from the one I touched..

At first I thought I just 'bumped' the contact below or above the one I wanted to call.. WRONG.. It has happened and called a contact that is NO WHERE on the call log.. . or 6 or 7 calls below the one I touched..

I don't suppose there is a fix for it.. BUT, I always LOOK closely who I am calling when using the CALL LOG to dial.. I use my phone for business, and I don't want to call a client 'accidentally.'

Anyone else have this problem? certainly there are others..

Chief

Upvote 0
I have been having this problem as well. I think it's a touch screen issue. When I click on the name top name to call the person back in the call log, one of the previous calls hi-lights like I clicked lower on the screen. Last night it was at it's peek of annoyance when it did it 6 times in a row....I called 5 wrong people(one person twice).

This doesnt happen plugged in, it's usually when I am out on the town, after I've made a bunch of calls.

Only thing I can see in common is that I am a task killer button pushing whore haha. I wonder if it's happening after I close all apps on the phone, since I didnt de-select the normal Android apps that should be running in the background like messaging and the phone stuff.

Upvote 0
This happens to me too. I don't think it is a touchscreen issue. When my Droid calls the wrong person it is always the same person and that person may not even be on the Call Log. About every tenth time that I try to call someone, anyone from the Call Log I end up calling this other person. Every so often (only about once a week) it also randomly calls this number on its own. :thinking:

Upvote 0
This has happened to me about a dozen times since I got the phone in December. I don't think this is a touchscreen issue. I have a direct dial shortcut for my wife on my homescreen and sometimes when I touch it calls someone else. The people it calls instead seem to always come from my favorites so I wonder if this glitch isn't somehow tied to my favorites. No idea how to fix it. It hasn't really caused me too much distress so I wasn't fretting over it, but it is nice to know that I'm not crazy!!!

Upvote 0
Well, from the response, i think we can all agree there is a glitch somewhere.

And just to clarify: For me, this IS NOT a 'touch-screen' issue.. The call sometimes is made to someone in the call log several "pages" down, and no where near being "on the screen."

It only happens to me once or twice every couple of weeks.. But, when it does happens, it is likely to occur twice/three times in a row..

Interesting.. not a big deal in my case, but something I have to watch after touching the call log to call someone..

Upvote 0
haha, took a while to get a reply to this thread...The first time this happened to me I was out at a bar trying to call a friend to find out where they were (close to 2 am) Loud/noisy club - I ended up mis-dialing my dad, waking him up with a drunk son yelling into the phone, "where you at? JAGERBOMBS!" He quickly called me back and was asking if I was alright...I said Im fine, thanks for asking. Absolutely no idea that I just accidentally called him when I clearly selected my buddy in the recent call list.

There was a very awkward explanation the next day, lol!

Upvote 0
Thank goodness it's not just me. I thought I was crazy. My husband laughs at me because the phone calls him when I didn't do it. I've been very careful now clearing out the call log frequently but I have still seen the phone dial a contact that was not on the call log. Geez, it's embarrasing to have to explain to my boss or anyone else for that matter. I guess you just can't use the log to call people. I've also had it dial someone when I wasn't even in that mode, just did it. I was using a different function at the time. I love the phone, but this bug is annoying. :(

Upvote 0
Just happened to me. The contact I wanted to call was a favorite. I was on the screen showing all the phone numbers for the contact, so there's no way I could have clicked on any other contact. When I clicked on the phone number, the screen said google voice calling a different contact (not a favorite). I hit back or home until it stopped - then the same thing happened two more times - always the same wrong contact. (definitely not a touch screen issue - the 2 contacts are 28 slots apart in my list)

This is a deal breaker for me - I can't have my phone randomly dialing the wrong person.
(oh, just realized this is a droid forum - I have a samsung intercept)

Upvote 0
Guys, found this page googling as i had a problem which symptomatically seems rather similar. I would dial contacts either from my call log, or contacts manager and get connected to a random person.
I found that (although previously fine) some of my contacts had an additional digit at the begining, usually 077 (where the second 7 was not orignally in the number). Dialling them would result in the phone calling 077 blah blah, and dropping the 12 digit, connecting me to a valid number but not one i intended to dial!!

Maybe worth checking your log and contact entries for numbers over 11 digits.

Problem seems different to what others are saying but this may help some confused people.

Upvote 0
It (EVO) called my ex, then a random number, then one of my friends about 30 times in a row the night before last (2:30 am) while connected to the charger on the nightstand. Very worrisome! Now I turn it off when I go to bed. Another thing, why no listing for a company in contacts? They really don't want this thing used for business? Just a toy I guess.

Upvote 0
I have had this happen to me several different times. I just had it happen to me again so I thought I would search for the problem and I came upon this thread.

I have the HTC Incredible rooted, but stock 2.2 rom with Google Voice, but I didn't use GV to make this latest call. Here's the process I just went through: I went to my call log, selected the 2nd listing with a long press so that I could "View Contact" so that I could see all of the numbers for that particular contact, selected the number I wanted and didn't realize it had called the wrong contact until I heard the voicemail for the incorrect contact. This drives me crazy. I don't usually look at the screen after I hit the call button and have had the wrong person answering on more that one occasion.

This phone/operating system does many things very well but if it can't get some of the basics correct that a $10 phone can do...

Upvote 0
Dear All,

Good Afternoon. I use a Sony Xperia M smartphone with Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OS installed in it. Today, something relevant to the thread, I too faced a weird situation wherein I got a missed call from a number in my contact list. But when I dialed it back, my phone randomly dialed an unknown number. I live in north eastern part of India, and the caller tune I heard was that of down south India. Hence it was a STD call made randomly by my phone on a random number. To add more weirdness to this whole scheme of things, the number which was dialed was auto deleted from the call log after few minutes. The call log now shows a clean call history made to my saved contacts. The random number is gone! Gave me spooks...seemed like the phone was possessed by some dead soul of an IceCreamSandwich OS. :D Kindly reply if any of you have faced a similar problem. :)
Regards.
Nepali Kancha.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones