1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Calls Through PC?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jimlau, Dec 24, 2020.

1. jimlau

jimlau Lurker

Can I make calls through my PC via wifi if I don't have Android 7.0? I don't know that that version can be installed on my phone.

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

the only thing that i know of is if you have a flagship samsung device that can use samsung dex. with dex you can hook up your phone via a cable and have the pc function as your phone. you make and receive phone calls as well as text messaging among other things. i doubt your phone will work on it as it will need a much higher android version then 7.0.

https://insights.samsung.com/2020/08/05/the-beginners-guide-to-samsung-dex-5/

only available on these devices:
    https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062657/

Dannydet and ironass like this.
  3. I only used WIFI calling on my S5 through the phone itself when on a WIFI network, so not sure what you're referring to as far as using a PC.
    In any case the last Android version released for the S5 was 6.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. jimlau

jimlau Lurker

How did u call using wifi? I see no option on the phone. Seems I would need Advanced Calling. Is that a paid feature? I have a Verizon phone tho i don't use Verizon.
    Thanks.

5. It was a carrier-specific feature, in my case Metro/T-Mobile. If available it would be in the Call settings menu.

ocnbrze and jimlau like this.
  6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

yep you have to have a phone that supports wifi calling and a plan with your carrier. on my note 10+ with verizon i can make phone calls on my phone using wifi if i needed to.

7. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

These are the WiFi calling instructions for the Verizon S5, but since you're not using Verizon your current carrier might not support it:
    https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-204394/
    • For Wi-Fi Calling to work, verify:
      • Wi-Fi is turned on and connected.
      • HD Voice is activated first while in the Verizon wireless coverage area (can't be activated internationally).
    • Wi-Fi calls always originate in the US, even when you're outside of the US.
      • Calls to US numbers are not billed (except for 411 or other premium calls).
      • Calls to international numbers are billed according to your international long distance plan.

Galaxy S5 WiFi Calling:
    1. From the Home screen, navigate: Apps > Settings > Advanced Calling.
      These instructions apply to Standard mode only.
    2. Tap Wi-Fi Calling.
    3. Tap the Wi-Fi Calling switch to turn on or off.
      If activating Wi-Fi Calling for the first time:
      1. Tap Activate Wi-Fi Calling.
      2. Review the Terms & Conditions then tap CONTINUE.
        Ensure the Terms & Conditions option is checked.
      3. Enter the emergency location information (E911) address then tap SAVE.
        This info gets transmitted to the emergency dispatcher for all 911 Wi-Fi calls. If address validation fails, you'll be required to re-enter a valid address.
        Upon successful validation of the address, Wi-Fi Calling turns on.

To select your calling preference while traveling outside the Verizon wireless coverage area or internationally, ensure Wi-Fi calling is turned on, tap When Roaming, select 'Prefer Other Cellular Networks' or 'Prefer Wi-Fi' then restart the device.