1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Cam as viewer to overlay information on

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Terrambo, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Terrambo

Terrambo Lurker

Hello, I am looking for help on how to turn the camera into a viewer, where I hold up my device and the app shows the view in the camera. This will in turn be connected to GPS location to just view an object via the app and be able to call up on screen data about that object based on positioning.
    I am not looking for it to take pictures or video, only access the camera as a viewer and overlay info on top.
    Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

That sounds like quite a challenging project. Do you wish to implement some kind of image recognition? I'd be looking for libraries which can provide this functionality. I've not used any such library, but Google does turn up a few hits. Might be worth investigating.

3. Terrambo

Terrambo Lurker

Thanks!
    It is challenging and I am new to this whole thing :) I do not want image recognition, but to have the view of the camera as a background to the app. From there I want to use GPS location to fetch data that is assigned to that location (cheating at image recognition). My idea is to create a free app for people that visit a zoo. When there you can point your device at the location of animal you are looking at. From there the screen would populate with an icon and link to what that animal is. click on the link and pull up information on that animal and have buttons to "adopt", "feed" or "pet" animal. This in turn would be associated to a small donation toward the zoo to help it keep improving on the way the animals are taken care of.
    Just a crazy idea I came up with at the zoo on Sunday because I was mad that I could not read the sign about an animal I was interested in. Too many people in front of me.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Terrambo likes this.